Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Searching for some answers

Avery Robertson

My father passed away 9 years ago but he gave me this medal from 1914. I think he got it from his father or somewhere, he never said and its too late now to ask. I have held onto it because of my love for both American and Military History.

On the back is from top to bottom:

85 6

PTE A Munro

1/BORD Highrs

the front of the medal is a crown at the top with an area for a ribbon to go through it.

Then a garland with 2 crossed swords and it looks like a Script large letter G with a star at the end and a letter y in the center of that, this at the bottow of the garland. Inside the garland is the month "AUG" on the top, the year 1914 and then NOV under that. I have run searches and seen many similar but not with those dates or the 1914 across the ribbon front in the middle of aug-nov...

My father served in the US Navy for over 20 years and was in WW2 and Korea, my grand da, his father was in WW1.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Avery

I can photograph it for you if you need me to.

I suspect that the BORD is GORD (i.e. Gordon Highlanders) - and could the 85_6 be 9516 ?

If so then there is a medal card for Alexander Munro, No. 9516 in the Gordon Highlanders. He went to France as a reinforcement for the 1st Battalion of the Gordon Highlanders (following heavy losses at Le Cateau), embarking on 12th September 1914. He was probably wounded some time in 1915, because he was discharged on 24th August 1916 and received a Silver War Badge.

The Silver War Badge had similar connotations to the American Purple Heart, but was issued upon discharge to show that the man had done his duty and been discharged, rather than specifically for wounds (though they were usually what caused the man's honourable discharge).

He is listed as being wounded in the Times of 12-12-1914, though this doesn't state a date of wounding. It was however before 7-11-1914 since this was when the Base in France reported these wounded men. Three Gordon Highlanders shown as Killed on the same list were Killed on 24-10-1914, so this MAY be the date of his wounding.

post-6536-1263260060.jpg

It is a little early to cause discharge in mid-1916, so he may have returned to the fray after then.

Steve.

I noticed in the paper clipping the name of Robertson which is our family clan name. I wonder if this Munro was a friend of his, I havent a clue how my father came to have it but since I was the only one in the family to save family trees, photos and anything pertaining to history he gave it to me once with some other things, non military. The plot thickens.. is there a way I can get info on the Robertson also mentioned in this? Is there any other way to get info on any of these mens families. Not that I would bother them but Im so curious and you know they say there are no coincidences... ty for the info.. its so very helpful...

~Avery~

Avery,

7875 David Robertson has 48 pages of service records on Ancestry which should give you his address, next of kin, and plenty of other information.

John

Im new... did you mean Ancestory.com.. or on here. My mums family was from Scotland, generations of scots until she met and married my father, ex Navy 20 years then Tugboat Captain out of New York city before he passed.. also his da was the same.. Navy and tugboat capt, as my Cousin Donald, who was, for a short time head of a base in Texas before his accident and death. David is my brothers name. I just have to wondered where the connection between David Robertson and Alexander Munro is. The only Robertsons, and Meikles are in Scotland now as everyone in my life is gone. History is very important to me. So if you wouldn't mind can you be a little more informant for me. Im such a Noob.

A.

Avery,

7875 David Robertson has 48 pages of service records on Ancestry which should give you his address, next of kin, and plenty of other information.

John

[/quote}

Some people have all the luck 48 pages !!! I am lucky if i do find a chaps service record to get 6 or so

any way enjoy it when you get the record

MC

David Robertson joined up at Glasgow on 2-9-1901, aged 18 years and 3 months. He was born at Barony, Glasgow. Prior to enlisting he was a mason (presumably a stonemason). He served with the 2nd Gordons from 10-3-1903 to 2-4-1906, part of that time in India, after which he transferred to Army Reserve. Mobilised from Reserve on 5-8-1914 he was posted to the 3rd (reserve) Battalion of the Gordon Highlanders until posted to the 1st Battalion on 30-8-1914. He was killed in action on 24-10-1914. His next of kin is given as his father, James Robertson of 114 James Street, Glasgow. The next of kin form shows his mother as "None". Brothers: John Robertson, age 45, 72 Ardonlea St., Glasgow; James Robertson, age 40, 16 Strachan St., E. Glasgow; and Hugh Robertson, age 35, 155 James Street, Glasgow. Sister: Helen Melville, age 49, 39 Landressy Street, Bridgeton, Glasgow The 48 pages are due to his "colourful" disciplinary record.

Steve.

Thanks..

our Scottish fam is from Glasgow, my mums name is Helen and both my brother has James as his middle name.. colorful the family has been. Youve been great help. I have to believe that maybe Robertson and Munro were friends or cousins.. or brother in laws.. im not sure.. but its a helpful path..

Namaste,

Avery