Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Variant Metal Enamel Signallers Badge

mark holden

I have recently acquired the Signallers Badge shown below. It interested me because the colours on the right flag (as you look at it) seem reversed from the normal white blue white. Is this a known variant?

post-11424-1263067967.jpg

To the best of my knowledge enamel versions are vanity items, and not Ordnance. Can you imagine the Treasury paying for such a badge? And yes, the blue/white is reversed, probably a bazaar or PRI purchase. As a curio, OK, but does not belong in a serious collection.

Grumpy,

Many thanks but it will remain in mine to show the vanity or perhaps pride of the British Tommy.

regards

Mark

To the best of my knowledge enamel versions are vanity items, and not Ordnance. Can you imagine the Treasury paying for such a badge? And yes, the blue/white is reversed, probably a bazaar or PRI purchase. As a curio, OK, but does not belong in a serious collection.

It looks very much like an original badge that has been enamelled. A jeweller could have done the enamelling very easily. I would like to think that it was given by a soldier to his best girl as a sweetheart badge.

Interesting; retention depends on your definition of a serious collection! As far as I'm concerned, such items were worn, are seen on period jackets, and whether bought by the soldier or not, are as much part of a Great War collection as an 'Ordnance issue' object. But this kind of debate has been aired before!

Peter

..like an original badge that has been enamelled.....given by a soldier to his best girl as a sweetheart badge.

I have seen a considerable number of these over the years & would conclude that @ very least they were commercially available rather than being Jewellers one offs??

Could they be from another Service??

They were used alright; this tunic is named dated and just right...(flag colours correct on this one)

Cheers

Peter

post-29053-1263766962.jpg

I have one of these, though not reversed)

These often come up, and I'm not sure they are vanity items. Surely the vanity item of choice would be the regimental badge.

There are far more of them around than I would expect.

The enamel is very thin and very liable to cracking off. I am not sure what was worn pre war, or indeed for parade?

I wonder if they were an early variety, that was found to lose it's enamel, and be unsuitable in service use, and therefore the un enamelled version was then standardised.

That would explain their surviving numbers.

Guy

I would think that they are, in effect, vanity items in so much as they were bought/modified by the soldiers themselves; but given that the cloth versions were coloured, and the brass (gilding metal) versions weren't, it makes sense that a soldier, proud enough to have passed the course of instruction, would have obtained an enamelled one to show off his prowess. Evidence shows they were worn.

Cheers

Peter

I can't prove they were NOT issued officially ....... but IMP [inherent military probability] suggests not, and I have never traced a Sealed Pattern or a reference in Clothing Regs, PVCN, or the ledgers of the Clothing Department. And, absolutely, they were indeed worn.