Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench art - source/calibre questions

RangeRover

The trench art item pictured below has been in my family for several generations. My grandfather served with the CEF in the Great War and I believe, but can't confirm, he brought this home. The base of the shell is unmarked but for the imprint of the striker/firing pin. There is no separate primer, the base is solid.

The dimensions of the base are 2.76 inches/70 mm

IMG_8804.jpg

Information welcomed.

Thanks.

A picture of the base would be useful as I am not sure what you mean by a solid base. The rim looks too thick for a normal shell case also.

Regards

TonyE

Edit: I have just been severely emasculated by a colleague for refering to the object as a "shell" case, when of course it is a cartridge case! Quite right too.

Thanks Tony.

Here's a photo of the base. Let's see if this helps.

In looking closer at this piece, based on your comment about the base being too thick, it appears that this might actually be composed of two or three different shells or parts of shells. The main part of the cylinder, with the thicker base welded somehow to the main part, and then a different piece of brass turned for the lid.

IMG_9222.jpg

A picture of the base would be useful as I am not sure what you mean by a solid base. The rim looks too thick for a normal shell case also.

Regards

TonyE

Well, if that's the case I've no idea how it came to the family as neither of my grandfathers served outside of Europe. Might have to do a little more digging with the relatives.

It looks very similar to Benares ware. Indian made brass work brought home by soldiers as souvenirs after service on the sub-continent.

Well, if that's the case I've no idea how it came to the family as neither of my grandfathers served outside of Europe. Might have to do a little more digging with the relatives.

But a lot of Indian soldiers served on the Western Front. The skills travelled with them.

Regards

John

I agree

I think this is made from melted down brass (possibly shell cases) then cast into the jar. The base is not a shell base.

I am an expert in such things as I was banned from metal work at school for an innocent accident with a braising torch, paper bag, a box of matches & a bic lighter :whistle:

Andy

....his obsession with ambulances is believed to have started from an early age, probably as a result of an incident in the school metal work class....

Cheers

TonyE