Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Act. Sergeant H. (Harry?) Jones, Royal Engineers

melliget

I came across this file in the National Archives of Australia:

JONES H (A Sergeant) - Royal Engineers - died on board HMAS Suevic 30 April 1918

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/imagine.as...mp;I=1&SE=1

No 205598, Act/Sergeant H. Jones, Royal Engineers, Inland Water Transport

Died 30/4/18 on board H.M.A.T. "Suevic", of lymphadenonia

N.O.K. Mr W. Jones

Salop Street

North Kensington, Adelaide

N.O.K. Mrs. J. Lawn, (Aunt)

Main Street

Mordialloc, Victoria

A check of TNA turns up this MIC (though it was playing up at the time):

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

Jones, Harry

King Edward's Horse, 1750, Private

Royal Engineers, WR312815, Acting Serjeant

Royal Engineers, 205598, Acting Serjeant

Searched CWGC for H. Jones, 1918, Army (165 results) but doesn't seem to be a match.

Can anyone find this man?

Martin

p.s. Also searched CWGC using Geoff's search engine and service number but no joy.

His Service Record is on Ancestry (search for surname "Jones" with service no. "1750").

It confirms he "died between the United Kingdom and Colon, en route for Australia, of Lymphadenoma, and was buried at sea on the 30th April, 1918."

BUT he had been discharged No Longer Physically Fit on 19/3/18 after being "dangerously ill" at 2nd Southern General Hospital from 7/3/18, and was in the process of returning home. He was removed from the Dangerously Ill List on 5/4/18 and reported at Liverpool for repatriation on 21/4.

I can't find any details of what he had been suffering from, although at some points it appears to say "Wounded".

As a post-discharge case, for him to be commemorated there would have to be a link between his wounds (if that's what it was) and the lymphadenoma that killed him, but as lymphadenoma is a tumour, I don't know if that is possible.

Adrian

dont give up as this disease takes sometime to develope

• 1 month later...

Don't give up on this man yet, as Chris says there is STILL a possibility you can prove a link between death and the war. There is more that can be done here to prove or disprove a link between service, death and the war. I will gladly take this case forward if no one else will?

Martin

I fear that this might be a difficult one to establish the necessary link between service and death. For family reasons, I've recently been doing some research into lymph problems so have read a fair bit. Much seems to be "just one of those things".

John

• 10 years later...

The pension record on Ancestry and FMP confirms that the lymphadenoma was aggravated by service, so this looks like a pretty solid case. Now put forward by IFCP.

• 1 month later...

Just to be precise Private Harry Jones, 1750 served in the 2nd King Edward's Horse and not the unrelated (1st) King Edward's Horse.  This is shown on the British War Medal and Victory Medal rolls.  I have his record on my www.kingscolonials.com website as follows.

JONES, Harry. 1750. Private 2KEH. Acting Serjeant Royal Engineers WR12815, 205598. No 205598 served in Inland Water Transport section. Died in service 30/4/18 on board H.M.A.T. "Suevic" en-route to Australia of lymphadenonia. Next of Kin, Mr W. Jones, Salop Street, North Kensington, Adelaide and Mrs. J. Lawn (Aunt), Main Street, Mordialloc, Victoria. Entitled to British War and Victory Medals.

Regards Dean.

• 9 months later...