Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Order of the British Empire

gnr.ktrha

Hello,

I was shown an award document for the OBE today, a chap brought it into the Library where I work. I tried a quick check on the London Gazette for him, but had not luck there.

It was awarded to Charles James Drummond esq, on the 3rd June 1918. Any idea who he was and what he did to merit the award?

Many thanks,

Stewart

Link To Appointment as Tin Plate Case Manufacture Trade Board Member August - 1914

LG Link OBE

"Charles James Drummond, Esq., J.P.

Vice-Chairman of the Tin Box Trade

Board; Trustee of the Friendly Societies

Convalescent Homes"

Link To Gazette Header OBE

Link to LG Header His Majesty The King........

Hello,

Thank you very much for the links. Nothing like it came up when I tried to search the site! How do you do it? I never seem to find very much on the LG site.

I will pass this info on tomorrow when I am at work.

Regards,

Stewart

How Do You Do It??

Stewart;

Less is more in most cases the more info you put in the less likely to get a result,{it only reads what is actually on the page rather than what you hope is there!!}

Advanced search with just Surname for the period sought{May~June 1918} {approx 26 returns}

The 1914 one was found by entering c j drummond* for the WW1 period;{double space between initials} & hoping for a return! {simples~not!!}

Sometimes you hit pay dirt sometimes you get hundreds of possibles... ;)

*this search didnt show up the OBE entry however!!;that only showed up when the May June 1918 & surname only search was carried out...}

Regards HB

Hello,

I was shown an award document for the OBE today, a chap brought it into the Library where I work. I tried a quick check on the London Gazette for him, but had not luck there.

It was awarded to Charles James Drummond esq, on the 3rd June 1918. Any idea who he was and what he did to merit the award?

Many thanks,

Stewart

Hi Stewart

The 1921 Order of the British Empire book, P 167

Drummond, Charles James M.B.E., J.P., Officer d'Academie, France. B 30 July 1848, s of Charles Drummond of Ipswich,

m Helena Catherine d of Humphrey Dean of Christchurch. Educ, Queen Elizabeth School, Ipswich.

Ex Cheif Labour Correspondent, Board of Trade.

Local Labour Correspondent, Ministry od Trade.Vice Chairman Tin Box & Paper Box Trade Boards.

A chairman of Scottish Board, Coal Mines ( Minimun Wage) Act 1912.

Member of Chairman Panel, Arbitration & Concilliation Act .

War Work, Prince of wales Committee.

City of London Local Tribunal.

Civil Liabillities Committee.

Local Food Control Committee, City of London.

Appeal Tribunal, ProfiteeringAct 1919, City of London.

Ministry of National Service, Sub Committee for Trade Exemptions.

Address , Northfield, 21, Dalmore road, Dulwich, SE 21.

Club, Constitutional. (M1673)

Peter

Hello HB and Peter,

Thank you both for your replies. HB, thanks for the tips regarding the LG site. I will have to spend a bit of time on the site to see if I can improve by skills with it.

Peter, thanks for taking the time to dig out the information on Mr Drummond. As luck would have it, I went online to show the gentleman the links to the LG site and saw and showed him you reply. He believes that Mr Drummond is a cousin's of his late mothers. He is going to ask around the remaining family and if he turns up any additional information, I will post it here.

Regards,

Stewart