Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

86th Training Reserve Battalion

Graham Stewart

post-7376-1262978700.jpg

This has just arrived today and the pamphlet, which on initial viewing appears to have nothing to do with the Northumberland Fusiliers, is this one "Standing Orders of the 86th Training Reserve Battalion". The link with the Northumberland Fusiliers is that on the formation of the Training Reserve, the 31st(Reserve)Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers (formerly the Depot Companies of the 16th(Service)Bn), was transferred to this new "Corps" on 1st September and redesignated the 86th Training Reserve Bn.

The role of the battalion was to act as a training & draft finding unit and it also re-trained many former members of the 16th Bn who had recovered from wounds/sickness and who required a course of recuperation and physical training to bring them back up to physical standard.

By the time this booklet was published in March 1918 the training was more geared towards the handling of newer recruits called up under Military Services Act of 1916 i.e. conscripts, although former frontline soldiers, many of them Northumberlands, would still continue to pass through the battalion on recuperation.

post-7376-1262978938.jpg

It's items such as these that actually bring home to us enthusiasts of the British Army just how organised they were with the internal running of a battalion, even a relatively new one like the Training Reserve. I have no doubt that similar Standing Orders would have been published by all Battalions.

post-7376-1262979177.jpg

To cap it all I actually have a photo of members of the 86th T.R.B. taken about the time these Orders were effective and here they are outside of a YMCA Hut. The badges they are wearing are of cloth on which is found the battalion number "86".

Graham

Are you sure that it was published in March 1918? I ask because in summer 1917 86 TR Bn became a Graduated bn under the title of 273rd Infantry Bn and then, on 27 October 1917, it became 52nd Bn Durham Light Infantry. Perhaps you mean March 1917?

It does look a fasinating document which would certasinly shed light on how the TR bns operated and, if it is possible, I would love to see a scan.

Charles M

Graham,

I know youve seen this but others may like to.

The WO's & Sgts mess of 86th TRB fancy dress to raise money, note the collecting tins.

John

post-27843-1263037858.jpg

post-7376-1263042577.jpg

The "Preamble" by the C.O., 86th TRB is dated 15th March 1918 and so these S.O.'s belong to the "new" 86th TRB, which was created on the 10th July 1917. The "old" 86th TRB as correctly stated did infact become 273rd Graduated Bn on the 4th July 1917.

The "new" 86th TRB was then redesignated as a reserve Bn of the MGC and became 'C' Bn, MGC, forming part of 1st Training Bde, MGC in September 1918 and it was eventually disbanded on the 6th August 1919(?).

• 4 years later...

Hi,

I am researching the history of my uncle Frederick Charles Lay b.29 April 1897, d.01 Mar 1976.

He joined Ox & Bucks LI as 2nd Lt 19 Dec 1915, deployed to France, 29 May 1916. Was promoted to full Lt. 1 Jul 1917 and survived the war. (Service No. 21476)

I have just obtained the Ox & Bucks officers lists for 1916,17 & 18. The later entries have a footnote against him "Empld.86 Trg. Res. Bn".

I don't understand why. At first I thought that this might refer to earlier activities with City of Oxford Boys School cadet corps but my research on that subject seems to show that school cadet corps were not set up until some time after the war. What exactly was the 86th Training Reserve Battalion & why was someone from Oxford who appeared to have joined directly to his local regiment employed by them??

After the war Fred went to Liverpool University and later returned to the City of Oxford Boys School as headmaster until his retirement.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

21476 is a reference number on the medal index card, not a regimental number, which were not issued to officers.

His commission was in the 1/4th Bn. He served with the Bn in France in June and July 1916 and then from November 1916 to April 1917. He is shown in the Bn.'s War Record as having been wounded twice.

His first wound was incurred in the attack on Pozieres on the night of 22/23 July 1916, or in the various counter-attacks and sustained shelling which followed on the 23rd. It was clearly not a serious wound given that he re-joined relatively soon afterwards. On 5th April 1917 the Bn. occupied Ronssoy. As B Coy. were about to be relieved they were shelled the Lt. Lay and the CSM were wounded.

It appears that after this wound he did not return to France but was posted to the Training Reserve to train recruits.

John

post-117439-0-91550600-1416154427_thumb.Hello,

I am trying to research the war service of my grandfather. He was William Thompson, born 11th March 1899 in Ashton in Makerfield, Lancashire. He survived the war and died in 1979 but as far as I know no medals have been passed down the family and I have no idea of his service number. All I have are two photographs, one of him in full kit and with a cap badge of the MGC, and the other in a group with cap badges made of cloth with 86 on them I have been told that he would probably have been at Clipstone Camp, but that is all I have. I will try to attach the photograph of the group. Granddad is centre front row with a cigarette in his mouth. Would be grateful for any information about his service, where, when and with which company or battalion. I know the MGC is very difficult to research but would be happy for any help .

Olive