Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French Army In 1914

bmac

I am presuming you mean in English? There are a couple of books about the Battle of the Marne, now long out of print, and a couple of the Michelin guidebooks look into the 1914 actions (these have been reprinted).

In French there is a lot more, and the French Official history is highly detailed on this period - the IWM in London have a set, as do the Historial musuem in Peronne.

You could try "The Marne" by Georges Blond. Recently reprinted by Prion Books. ISBN 1 85375 479 X. price £10. Try Naval & Military Press website for online purchase.

Guest Nicholas Hemming

For a classic account of the early weeks of the war, try 'Liaison, 1914': this was written by a British officer attached to Lanrezac's 5th. Army, which has recently been reprinted (not recommended however, for fans of Gen. Lanrezac!).

Spears, Major General Sir Edward. 'Liaison 1914, a Narrative of the Great War.' (1930). London; Cassell, 2000.

It is regrettable that there is so little available in English on our closest allies: considering the scale of the French war effort, the subject is rather under-represented.

NH

The Spears book is really good, he was a young staff officer doing liaison with the French but the Blond book is fine and much more specific to what you want.

I really want to read something about the frontier battles in Alsace and Lorraine. Apart from reading a biography of Foch I know embarrassingly little about it.

I have visited the Vosges region twice, beautiful and very interesting. I think Marco Hoveling's site An Unfortunate Region has some good information on that fighting.

Some of the villages in the SOuthern Vosges such as Turckheim are complete with storks, town criers etc. Can hear Alsatian spoken too.

Flanders Tours occasionally runs a tour there but not this year or next.

• 2 years later...

I am not sure about books regarding the Battle of the Frontiers. Blondes book is about the development and fighting around the Battle of the Marne. I haven't read it, but I would assume Laision has little if anything to do with the fighting Alsace and Lorraine either.

Andy

Hello

The Campaign of the Marne 1914 by Tyng covers the eastern France campaign. This book is still available and is a truly excellent account of the 1914 campaign.

Regards

I haven't read it, but I would assume Laision has little if anything to do with the fighting Alsace and Lorraine either.

Andy

Correct. There is mention only.

Robert

In English on the Battle of Frontiers, forget it. There is nothing decent at all. Most British simply ignore it.

There are a lot of books in French, but as the Battle took place over an enormous area - like the size of half of England and in two countries, you tend to find that each region/ commune even produced a book about what happened there? And that was in 1920 or so.

Is there anything special you wan to know? If so, let me know, I have a good few books on it and I live about 30 minutes drive away from the edge. I have even done a little guiding around a part of the battlefield.

Barbara Tuchman's book, "August 1914" (I think it may appear in a different name as well) covers the Battle of Frontiers and the '14 Ardennes Offensive by Langle D'Clary. Not in huge detail, but does set these two huge actions in context of the overall scope.

Unfortunatly, I find that in general there is very little english books on any of the French actions, apart from Verdun. The '14 battles, the Vosges, St Mihiel Salient, Argonne, Champagne, Chemin des Dames, the Somme etc; all very limited. I really enjoy visiting these regions, but once their have to rely on snippets of information to try and understand what went on.

If anyone knows of any sources I would be gratefull to hear.

Regards

Ian

The book "Paths of Glory", written by Anthony Clayton, is written in English and deals with the French Army during ww1. Some 50 pages do deal with 1914.

Regards,

Gilbert Deraedt :(