Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

JAC Hook Quillon Bayonet

tocemma

As an illustration of what I mentioned earlier in connection to not using the blades fuller as an indication of manufacturer.. here are three Hooky's from my collection. The two outer examples are 'EFD' [Enfield], the center example being 'SANDERSON'.

Seph

Re Bootnecks, point taken in regard to fuller differences, however I thought my 2 example illustrations offered were a fairly direct comparison given that they were both taken from the same bayonet from the same manufacturer which was supposedly manufactured within 6 months of each other and then stamped by the same inspector .

Re Tocemma,

These examples were offered to all forum participants so that they may make their own value judgements as regard to comparing condition between what is roughly normal condition and appearance and what would be considered highly abnormal condition and appearance. Direct comparison between stampings are also provided. Each to their own judgement.

Personal opinions offered are obviously individual to the particular person, their level of experience and what they actually think of the photo evidence presented.

I honestly respect all the opinions offered but I also believe I deserve a little credit for supporting my differing opinions and viewpoints with credible evidence. :angry2:

Direct quote from initial post - "This is one for the bayonet boys! ....... I have one or two others to post and would appreciate any info on the stamps etc."

Only you can possibly be aware of the exact manner of acquirement or "story" behind the provenance of this item, the rest of us are working off the photos in front of us.

In regard to the above quote, in future it may be beneficial to remember the old saying - "Be careful what you ask for". :P

By the way, when it comes to "Mint" - I personally prefer Spearmint...!!! :w00t:

Cheers,

S>S

SS,

Thanks for the contribution. I was asking for information on the unit stamping and not the authenticity or otherwise of the bayonet. Thus far only one reply has addressed this point iwth anything other than supposition or guesswork. As to the answer, I have the answer I required, as Joe Sweeney has supplied detailed info.

As to condition, you get what you can get. I don't think anyone sets out to acquire 'mint' examples or on the other hand very scruffy examples either. As personal opinions are offered here it is quite normal to both question and examine those opinions. This is what the forum is for.

Tocemma

• 4 years later...

Just out of interest, as I am looking into scabbard markings, and this page came up, were there any on this one?