Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Middlesex Regiment in Chatham

I understand that the Middlesex Regiment had a significant training facility in Chatham, Kent. Does anyone have any further information, in particular which Reserve Battalions were based there?

Mungo

5th and 6th Reserve Bns. 4.8.14. Mill Hill, London. Then 5th Bn to Rochester and 6th to Gillingham. November 1915 6th Bn to Chatham. 5th Bn to Chatham March 1916. 1917 and 1918, 5th Bn at Gillingham and 6th Bn at Chatham as part of the Thames and Medway Garrison.

It is possible that they were at St Mary's Barracks whilst at Chatham.

Terry Reeves

If the attachment had worked - and I cant seem to open it - then it was a period postcard of a soldier with a lady in his arms with the words "The Middx are holding their own at Gillingham".

I believe this was a standard design. Just the regiment and location in the caption was changed to suit the occasion. Or am I wrong about that?

I believe this was a standard design. Just the regiment and location in the caption was changed to suit the occasion. Or am I wrong about that?

No I think your right but I thought this particular version was appropriate for this thread ... although I cant open it so ....