Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thomas Spencer Diary

Simon Birch

Morning All.

I am in the middle of transcribing the above diary. on 10th August 1918 Thomas reports "A five engined Gotha came over about midnight and dropped a few bombs. The searchlights got him and this time Jerry had a surprise as our flying scouts were up, spotted Fritz at once and went for him. In a few minutes a fight as on and we soon saw the big Gotha in flames. He came down and a number of soldiers ran to the burning wreck, when on of the bombs exploded in the heat. Several of those who were near were killed and more injured. This machine carried eight men, three had been shot, four burned and one staff officer had jumped with a parachute, but this failed to open so he too was killed"

I am in no way an expert of Gothas but from a quick look on the internet they appear to have a crew of 3. Is there something I do not know or is Thomas Spencer wrong?

Regards & thanks to all.

Simon

Be

Be

The aeroplane wasn't a Gotha, but one of the German 'Giants', in particular Zeppelin-Staaken R.XIV 43/17 of Rfa 501, brought down at 23:50 on 10 August by Capt A B Yuille of No 151 Sqn RAF, flying Sopwith Camel D6573. The German machine crashed 1 mile west of Lighthouse Talmas, near Doullens, and all crew members (Ltn Braun, Ofstv Buth, Ltn Corty, Vfw Donath, Flg Donnemaier, Flg Fonrobert, Uffz Kopp, Gefr Reuther and Flg Schneidersmann) were killed.

Allied troops often used the description 'Gotha' to refer to any German aeroplane with more than one engine.

I hope that this helps you.

Gareth

Be

The aeroplane wasn't a Gotha, but one of the German 'Giants', in particular Zeppelin-Staaken R.XIV 43/17 of Rfa 501, brought down ar 23:50 on 10 August by Capt A B Yuille of No 151 Sqn RAF, flying Sopwith Camel D6573. The German machine crashed 1 mile west of Lighthouse Talmas, near Doullens, and all crew members (Ltn Braun, Ofstv Buth, Ltn Corty, Vfw Donath, Flg Donnemaier, Flg Fonrobert, Uffz Kopp, Gefr Reuther and Flg Schneidersmann) were killed.

Allied troops often used the description 'Gotha' to refer to any German aeroplane with more than one engine.

I hope that this helps you.

Gareth

Gareth.

I don't know how you do it but am always impressed. thanks for your help.

Simon