Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Salmon(s)

wizzbang

My Great Grandfather William Salmon,was a horseman by trade in the 1911 Census.

He was born in 1877 in High Beech Essex.

In 1911 he was living in High Beech, Loughton Middx

The only information I have on him was that he served in the great war bringing supplies up to the front line by Wagon...

And that his cap badge may have been an animal !!!!!

It a bit vague....but thats all I have got

Can anybody help..

Cheers Paul.

Paul,

there are some records to a William Salmon b.1877, address given as Beaumont Road, Leyton, Essex. Wifes name was ??Alice

Jon

Paul

Further to Jon's,he didn't go abroad though. He was a Northumberland Fusilier who joined them at Stratford (London E15) on 6.9.1916 with a BII fitness category which wouldn't have taken him to the front for active service.

He later transferred to the Labour Corps (No 427329) and into the 682 Agricultural Company in Northampton,with a fitness of BI. He has no discernable medal entitlements. Maybe the wrong one,there are plentry of others,problem is not somany service records survived a 1940 bombing.

Sotonmate

Paul,

there are some records to a William Salmon b.1877, address given as Beaumont Road, Leyton, Essex. Wifes name was ??Alice

Jon

Cheers Jon will see what I can dig up.........

Paul

Further to Jon's,he didn't go abroad though. He was a Northumberland Fusilier who joined them at Stratford (London E15) on 6.9.1916 with a BII fitness category which wouldn't have taken him to the front for active service.

He later transferred to the Labour Corps (No 427329) and into the 682 Agricultural Company in Northampton,with a fitness of BI. He has no discernable medal entitlements. Maybe the wrong one,there are plentry of others,problem is not somany service records survived a 1940 bombing.

Sotonmate

Cheers Soton....

Sorry dont have a lot to go on on this one,all I know is he was born and lived in Essex.He Worked with horses before the war and during the war.He could have been with the labour Corps as he took supplies to the front (how close to the front line I do not know ).

He could have called himself Salmon or Salmons as some of the family dropped the s.

As for the cap badge my father said he could remember it having some sort of animal on it.

I do not know if he had any Medals,if so I would have thought they would have been passed down our line.

Cheers Wizz

There are 121 matches for 'William Salmon' amongst the Medal Index Cards, with so little to go upon there might be several possible matches.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...mp;mediaarray=*

Cheers Per !!!!!!

Think I may have to go down to the N A to to have a proper look .....

Need something positive to link him to, have his address as of the 1910 census but thats all.

Pretty certain he would be with a transport,labour or even poss cavalry unit but sure he was not front line troop

due to his age....

Is there any other means That I could look at dealing with transport and supplies....

I know the Medal cards have limited information and want to be sure I get the right man...

Cheers Wizz...

Paul,

Jon

Have no records of him living in Leyton,(but cannot rule it out ).think he lived most of his life in Waltham Abbey Essex (Midx)

He may have also lived in Loughton Essex...

Pretty certain he would be with a transport,labour or even poss cavalry unit but sure he was not front line troop

due to his age....

Horses were the prime means of transportation at this time, he could have served with any unit, including infantry to look after the officer's horses. The artiller (especially RFA & RHA) used a lot of horses.

Why would his age prevent him being in a front line unit? He was only 40 in 1917, there were men onlder than that in the front line.

Horses were the prime means of transportation at this time, he could have served with any unit, including infantry to look after the officer's horses. The artiller (especially RFA & RHA) used a lot of horses.

Why would his age prevent him being in a front line unit? He was only 40 in 1917, there were men onlder than that in the front line.

You Could be right....Nothing stopping him being in a front line unit,but dont have any more info to prove it.If he enlisted under Derby Scheme suppose he could have gone anywhere !!!!.

Thought they held the older men back till the latter stages of the war,will try and dig a bit deeper to see if I can find out anymore info...

Cheers Wiz..

• 6 months later...

I have a William Salmon in my tree

His father was Solomon Salmon

Any link ???