Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

side cap ww1 or ww2?

dutchbarge

Hello,

Can anyone shed light as to whether the following side caps are of ww1 or ww2 pattern? Thanks!

Cheers, Bill

post-21989-1262569486.jpg

post-21989-1262569519.jpg

Hello,

Can anyone shed light as to whether the following side caps are of ww1 or ww2 pattern? Thanks!

Cheers, Bill

Without claiming any expertise, I have several WWII dated forage caps which look very similar to this.

I think they may be to hand so photos to follow.

Chris

Such Field Service (FS) caps were worn during the early to middle part of the Second World War, when they were replaced by the beret-like General Service (GS) cap. Most surviving examples are therefore WW2, though their design was derived from a late Victorian style. Though the RFC wore such caps during the war, my understanding is that they were uncommon in other corps. I would say your examples are WW2 vintage.

Best wishes

Peter

They were very common in WW2 and usually worn right down onto one ear. It always seemed to me a most unsuitable hat, likely to fall off. Were they actually supposed to be worn on the side or centrally?

QUOTE (Phil_B @ Jan 4 2010, 05:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They were very common in WW2 and usually worn right down onto one ear. It always seemed to me a most unsuitable hat, likely to fall off. Were they actually supposed to be worn on the side or centrally?

On the side, worn so the front was above the right eye, the badge therefore pointing upwards. Officers' versions often have a velvet band that provides some grip to the head. Actually, the whole thing was intended to allow the side curtains to be let down in bad weather, buttoning under the chin, with a little peak folded down. In this case, it would have been square on the head, but looked rather strange!

Peter

Thanks all for your help.

Cheers, Bill

Bit late (work dragged on!) but here are the pics I promised. A 1940 dated army, 1944 dated RAF and (to stay on topic) for comparative purposes the US WWI "overseas" cap.

post-14525-1262664707.jpg

post-14525-1262664702.jpg

Chris

Bit late (work dragged on!) but here are the pics I promised. A 1940 dated army, 1944 dated RAF and (to stay on topic) for comparative purposes the US WWI "overseas" cap.

Chris

Thanks Chris, A most definitive posting which answers my questions!

Cheers, BIll