Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sedan St Charles Cemetery

SteveMarsdin

Thanks for sharing the images, Adrian

I think the Belgian, Wim Degrande (ak16 on this Forum although he doesn't regularly post) may also have some old photos of the cemetery.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent images and thread - a real shame.

Thanks for posting.

KB

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Alimatheson64

Hi there, I was really interested in your posts on Saint Charles as I have recently discovered that my Great uncle is buried there. Lance Corporal Roderick Montgomery. This is my first attempt at delving into his story.

Thanks

• 3 years later...

I visited here a month or so ago and am pleased to report that the memorial has been restored.

The visit was in company with the author (Maarten Otte) who is going to write a Battleground Europe book on the Sedan 1870 campaign; we visited several other German memorials in the area. Some were in remarkably good shape (I suspect that we have to thank Souvenir Francais for that situation); one or two less so. In one case it was a question of hacking through a very overgrown surrounding area and one feared the worst - but in fact the (a Thurungian regiment, IIRC)  memorial itself was in fair order.

IMG_2082.jpg

2 hours ago, nigelcave said:

I have no idea who funded the renovation; whoever it was, many thanks!

It started with a rally in 2016 to ask for public funding. 

430629077_2016-09-1720Monument20allemand20Sedan.jpg.f4994dbbf59bc029e3ebc1456974f264.jpg

A friend of mine went and had invited me along but I couldn't.

funding was approved in 2017 and comes from both French and German, public and private funds.

the monument is also on the list to be approved by UNESCO as protected sites of the Great War.

M.