Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Memorial Plaque Identity

verdun

Hopefully, I've posted this item in the best place... I'm wondering if anyone can offer any thoughts on the correct ID of the man whose Memorial Plaque I purchased (on the Great Bay of E) a while ago, named to Harry Edward Searle.

There are TWO possibilities only on CWGC:

8741 Cpl. 1/Ox & Bucks L.I., KIA 06/04/16 (Basra)

9594 L/Cpl. 1/Hampshire Regt., KIA 01/07/16 (1st Day of the Somme)

These names are also repeated on SDGW, which add that the former was born in Tilbury, Essex and the latter in Fareham, Hants. However, the MICs are different. 8741 is shown as Henry E Searle, whilst 9594 is Harry E Searle.

Also a search for "Harry Edward Searle" on Ancestry leads directly to 9594 Searle, born in Fareham c.1898, whilst I can find no obvious match for the Harry or Henry Searle born in Essex.

Any thoughts anyone??? (and Happy New Year to you all!)

Peter

Hopefully, I've posted this item in the best place... I'm wondering if anyone can offer any thoughts on the correct ID of the man whose Memorial Plaque I purchased (on the Great Bay of E) a while ago, named to Harry Edward Searle.

There are TWO possibilities only on CWGC:

8741 Cpl. 1/Ox & Bucks L.I., KIA 06/04/16 (Basra)

9594 L/Cpl. 1/Hampshire Regt., KIA 01/07/16 (1st Day of the Somme)

These names are also repeated on SDGW, which add that the former was born in Tilbury, Essex and the latter in Fareham, Hants. However, the MICs are different. 8741 is shown as Henry E Searle, whilst 9594 is Harry E Searle.

Also a search for "Harry Edward Searle" on Ancestry leads directly to 9594 Searle, born in Fareham c.1898, whilst I can find no obvious match for the Harry or Henry Searle born in Essex.

Any thoughts anyone??? (and Happy New Year to you all!)

Peter

Well a rather difficult one there ( i would want the 1st day of the Somme with bells on ) well reading what you have written it seems as if you have your chap harry 1st day of somme just by the harry not henry on plaque or have i missed the plot

cheers MC

A Third possiblity was H E Searle KRRC but he is a Herbert NA KRRC Searle H E

CWGC

Take your pick both are Harry on the 1901 census. the ox n bucks lad was 14 in 1901 born tilbury. The Hamps lad was 3 born Farnham Hampshire. As this is their given name and is on CWGC and SDGW its probable that its the nmae supplied by rhe NOK.

Take your pick both are Harry on the 1901 census. the ox n bucks lad was 14 in 1901 born tilbury. The Hamps lad was 3 born Farnham Hampshire. As this is their given name and is on CWGC and SDGW its probable that its the nmae supplied by rhe NOK.

Though ninety years on it may have very little bearing on the provenance the area the Plaque came from might be a lead?

Thanks for the responses. Am particularly interested in Welshdoc's research. I couldn't actually find the Harry Searle from Tilbury (born 1887) in the 1901 Census, but could find him in the BMD Index, where he is shown as Harry Edwards Searle - perhaps a typo?

But I'm still intrigued by the fact that 'Tilbury Harry' (Ox & Bucks man) is named Henry on his MIC. Perhaps the only option is to get the birth certificates of both men and see what this shows up?

Hi Harry. Sorry, I missed your reply last night - I think it crossed with my reply to Welshdoc. But what a great idea and, guess what... I checked my eBay records and the plaque came from a dealer in Hampshire who bought it in a boot sale in Southampton. So it looks like the plaque belongs to Harry Edward Searle of the Hampshire Regt, killed on July 1st 1916. Not conclusive I know - but close enough for me! Thanks again, Peter

PS This raises questions about his story. His birth was registered in the first quarter of 1898, but he arrived in France on Jan 4th 1915 (today's date!). Assuming he wasn't a Regular, he must therefore have enlisted in late summer or early Autumn 1914 - when he was still 16!

Looks like a pukka 1/7/16 casualty . While you cant prove it at least you can be 99% sure its you hampshire lad. All you now need to do is find his medals.

One question is whether or not plaque naming tallied with MICs, or whether there was family input. I suspect that some other input, as we know there are MICs that are one or more initials only.