Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

W. Mates M.M.

tommates

Hello all, I have some details concerning a Military Medal awarded to : 16923 Cpl W.Mates 1st Bn East Yorkshire Reg. I have found some info from London Gazett (but not the official site) saying that this was awarded 17 April 1917, He was killed 9 April 1917 and buried at Cojeul. Can anyone give details on what he done to be awarded the M.M and how/when/where he was killed ? Many Thanks

Tom Mates

Hi and welcome to the forum unfortunately getting a citation on a MM is quite hard nigh impossible.usually as a guess you go back about 3 months from the LG date and look at what the unit was doing to get an idea. As to his death also very hard his service record may have a little info and i say little ,that's if his service record still survives on ancestry only about 20% do .Well you do have the when he was killed i would look up on the LLT icon in top left corner of this page that goes to a website with this forum and run by it that will have his battalion details and where they where .Somebody will probably have a more accurate listing from a war diary.There may be a listing already under the unit diaries also part of this forum and there might be a mention of him being killed in it

MC