Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Buttons and Badges

4thGordons

I just bought a Pattern 14 leather belt (been after one I could afford for ages!)

It had apparently been used as a "souvenir" belt - as it had the following buttons/badges attached.

They look OK to me but I know almost nothing about GW insignia. Could an expert confirm they are of the correct period. I have no obvious reason to doubt them and, as I said, I bought them as a result of buying the belt which is what I really wanted for a display (without adornment!). The only reasons I ask are 1) I know nothing about them and 2) the twisted wire with which the buttons were affixed to the belt looks a bit new.

Happy new year!

Cheers,

Chris

post-14525-1262462133.jpg

Gloucestershire Rgt cap badge

post-14525-1262462139.jpg

GS cap badge

post-14525-1262462150.jpg

Australian Button

post-14525-1262462159.jpg

German Button

They all appear to be contemporary,Gloucesters ,Labour Corps{Or General List} Aussie Button [May be WW2,IIRC WW1 was Australian Imperial Forces] & German/Prussian Button

They all appear to be contemporary,Gloucesters ,Labour Corps{Or General List} Aussie Button [May be WW2,IIRC WW1 was Australian Imperial Forces] & German/Prussian Button

Thanks very much - I'll check into the Australian one.

Chris

The button looks fine, if you take a look at the makers mark it would help. Being brass is a good indication that it isn't WWII manufacture.

I'd be satisfied - 'AUSTRALIAN MILITARY FORCES' (Universal Pattern) buttons have been used since before the war.

Dan

With regards to the badges, one would have to examine their reverse side to be sure; with regards to the button, I am pretty sure that one of these was unearthed with the Aussie soldier found at Plugstreet, and is illustrated in Martin Brown and Richard Osgood's book Digging up Plugstreet.

Best wishes

Peter

If you do take the button off, I'd put money on it being an 'Armfield & Co. - Birmingham' or 'Established 1763' (also Armfield) maker marked - WW1 period.

Is it a great-coat sized button? ... it looks to be.

Dan

If you do take the button off, I'd put money on it being an 'Armfield & Co. - Birmingham' or 'Established 1763' (also Armfield) maker marked - WW1 period.

Is it a great-coat sized button? ... it looks to be.

Dan

And you would win that bet Dan!

Please see below - button is @ 1" (25mm) in diameter.

post-14525-1262754736.jpg

German button is unmarked. Badges have single sliders that have been bent up tight to the belt and I am a little wary of breaking them off so I may leave in situ.

Chris

Badges have single sliders that have been bent up tight to the belt and I am a little wary of breaking them off so I may leave in situ.

Sounds like they are OK, and contemporary. If the slider has a horizontal crimp mark close to the bend, this is usually a good sign of an original badge.

Peter

• 5 weeks later...
With regards to the badges, one would have to examine their reverse side to be sure; with regards to the button, I am pretty sure that one of these was unearthed with the Aussie soldier found at Plugstreet, and is illustrated in Martin Brown and Richard Osgood's book Digging up Plugstreet.

Best wishes

Peter

Thanks for the reference Peter!!! Yes indeed - button like this was found with the Australian soldier at Plugstreet. cheers Richard

post-1506-1265400053.jpg

Thought so! As I think I mentioned (to Martin at least), there has been some discussion as to whether these buttons saw service on the Australian uniform, and here's the proof!

Cheers

Peter

Thought so! As I think I mentioned (to Martin at least), there has been some discussion as to whether these buttons saw service on the Australian uniform, and here's the proof!

Cheers

Peter

Peter,

These 'Universal Pattern' buttons pre-date the war and were certainly used on the Service Dress jacket, just not in any great numbers.

The following images come from the 'Australian Military Forces. - Standing Orders for Dress and Clothing. - 1912.'

post-3866-1265514123.jpg

40 'lines' = 1 inch

post-3866-1265514140.jpg

I'll dig up a pic or two with them being worn

Regards,

Dan

After a quick look this is the clearest so far, a couple of others lost to much detail after trying to get them below 100k

Prior to embarkation ...

post-3866-1265520258.jpg post-3866-1265520287.jpg

These 'UP' buttons mainly show up in photographs attached to great-coats, but again not in any great numbers.

Dan