Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

R.G.A. TF; How did they enlist?

g-collins

Happy new year to you all.

I am still trying to find where my Father inlisted in 1916.

He was in the Royal Artillery sge btry 227 6brgd RGA TF No 330413 , That No I believe puts him in the Devon Fortress

coastal defence. But how can I find where he inlisted He lived in a village in GLOS:

Any help would be much appreciated.

Best wishes for the new year

Graham.

Happy New Year to you Graham,

I have had a look for others with similar numbers in the RGA and found George Winstone Hogg 330410.

He enlisted in December 1915 but was not mobilised until a year later. He was indeed in the Devon RGA (1/3 Coy) but only after training. His training number was 129519 and he was renumbered in early 1917 having joined the Territorial unit from No. 3 Depot. After training he is posted to Reinforcing Siege Depot, Stowlangtoft and then a number of Siege batteries - 330, 177 and 230.

I will look for others but I suspect your father was locally enlisted and put on Army Reserve in the RGA and then trained in similar fashion to George Hogg (who came from Nuneaton).

Here is another one:

Albert Francis Larter Winter 330415

24, Walpole Road, Strawberry Hill, Middlesex

Attested/Enlisted 25-11-15 then to Army Reserve

Medically Examined in Hounslow 29-05-16

Joined for duty/Mobilized 01-01-17 at Plymouth

Posted to 1/3 Coy Devon RGA (Reg. No. 2045 before renumbering)

Southampton 21-09-17

Havre 22-09-17

Posted to 218 Siege Battery 30-09-17

Posted to 193 Siege Battery 20-12-17

Hello David

Thank you for replying, I have tried to find some history on Devon RGA but none appears to exist.

All the info I have starts from his number being linked to Devon RGA , the 227 sge btry info I have is from a photo I have of my father and

nine other Gunners with the btry No on the bottom.

many thanks for taking time to do lookups

Graham.

Graham,

I believe that by this time of the war, late 1916 early 1917, there was little difference between the TF and regular training and postings for gunners, as the two examples given by David proves. Gunner Hogg was given a regular number, not a training number, before being posted the the Devon RGA. Gnr Winter was mobilised there directly. Both had attested under the Derby Scheme, and just like any man being conscripted, could be posted to anywhere in the UK. They could have easily have been sent to the Forth RGA. I would suggest that your father either attested at the nearest town, or have been conscripted. Either way he may have been sent anywhere.

Kevin

Hi Kevin

Thank you for you recent reply, it seems this is about as far as i can get with the enlistment research at present, I have been asked by Tyrim to upload a photo of my Father and his battery crew which was incidently an 8 inch howitzer i hope this is of intrest to you.

again many thanks

Graham

Graham,

Can you scan the photo and post it here? I'm sure everyone would appreciate seeing it.

Tyrim

hello Tyrim

unfortunatly i cannot upload the photo as it is to large a file for forum, I can however e-mail it to you and see if you can have more luck!!

Graham,

Can you scan the photo and post it here? I'm sure everyone would appreciate seeing it.

Tyrim

[/quot

here is the photo managed it in the end

Graham

post-48153-1262436245.jpg

Graham,

Great photo! Thanks for going to the trouble.

No familiar faces since my Father & Grandfather were in different units but the shot gives a look at the kind of men they served with and the feel for what they experienced, and that's worth a lot!

Tyrim

Graham

By 1916 Royal Naval dominance had reduced the German threat on the coast and the requirement for coastal artillery. This coincided with increased demand for heavy artillery for the Western Front, and skilled RGA gunners to man those guns. Consequently RGA gunners from the coastal batteries were drafted to many of the newly formed batteries. The coastal units would also provide the basis for training and the raising of future RGA Batteries. As an example the Durham RGA trained over 2,000 men.

Consequently someone could initially join a coastal unit, and be subsequently posted to a RGA Siege Battery.