Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1911 Census Ireland Update

kildaremark

Just to let everyone know that this is now searchable by all fields including place of birth and occupation.

The term 'soldier' brings up 1820 hits - a good way of finding those who were not living in a mililtary barracks, 91 gunners, 174 corporals and 74,623 who give a birthplace as England, 34,002 born in Scotland, 2244 born in USA, 4,936 Jews and 1,170 refused to state their religion. The term 'prostitute' brings up 158 hits.

6 people claim to be 110 years old, 7 are 109 and 9 are 108 years old.

Hours of funs:-

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

Mark

Thanks for posting the update Mark,

Curious though, my gg uncle (Horace George Parnell, then of 140 Bty RFA at Kildare) isn't listed (even allowing for transcription errors and the use of initials), and he was certainly there at the time. From your experience do you think the online census entries for Kildare have been completed?

Kind regards

Steve

Steve,

I think the transcribing is not bad - initials are fairly clear although as it only gives England rather than a more specific area for the non Irish, it doesn't help.

There is a JG P age 32 born England, Church of England but is in the wrong battery. Can't seem to find him so far. Will let you know if I find him. Could be on leave in England, in hospital or anything?

Regards

Mark

Thanks Mark,

A second pair of eyes is always useful - much appreciated!

Yes, I came across JG P age 32 myself; but you're correct - it's not him. Horace would be age 32, C of E, born England, single, and his occupation (prior to service) would either have been labourer / general labourer or groom. At the time of the census he would have been Gunner. It's a pity there's no function in the search engine to search for 140 Battery!

Oh, he's unlikely to have been in England at the time - I've not found him on the England 1911 census either.

Kind regards

Steve

• 3 months later...

Hi Mark,

Hope things are well with you.

Just thought I'd let you know, I finally managed to track down the online census entries for 140 Battery (though the entries are a bit split-up over the successive PDF files). Unless there are pages I've missed, it would appear my gg uncle is not there (unless he was posing as a 19-year old!). According to his papers he was on the battery strength as a Gunner at the time - most curious as to why he is absent!

All the best

Steve