Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

NEWFOUNDLAND REGIMENT FORMATION PATCH

NFLDREGT

Hi

I would like to confirm what formation patches would be worn by the Newfoundland Regiment in WW I and where on the uniform they would be worn.

All input appreciated.

Thank you

Don

Hello,

The regiment wore the 29th Divisional red triangle on the upper mid-sleeve from 1915 to 1918 when they were removed from active duty and the 29th Div. They were then attached to the 9th Scottish Division and wore the dark blue circular patch with silver thistle, upper mid-sleeve as well, someone please correct me if I'm wrong on the position of this patch.

From 1915 to 1916 the regiment also wore a rectangular patch on their upper sleeve that was divided red and white, the colours of their standard. This patch was changed in 1916 to a circular patch that consisted of a white field with red cross and was worn at the back of the collar. I have seen very few of these in actual photos however. Here is a photo of the patch on the left sleeve, you can see it on the sleeves of other men in the photo as well.

http://www.heritage.nf.ca/greatwar/gallery...ges/va3619a.jpg

Chris

Hello,

The regiment wore the 29th Divisional red triangle on the upper mid-sleeve from 1915 to 1918 when they were removed from active duty and the 29th Div. They were then attached to the 9th Scottish Division and wore the dark blue circular patch with silver thistle, upper mid-sleeve as well, someone please correct me if I'm wrong on the position of this patch.

From 1915 to 1916 the regiment also wore a rectangular patch on their upper sleeve that was divided red and white, the colours of their standard. This patch was changed in 1916 to a circular patch that consisted of a white field with red cross and was worn at the back of the collar. I have seen very few of these in actual photos however. Here is a photo of the patch on the left sleeve, you can see it on the sleeves of other men in the photo as well.

http://www.heritage.nf.ca/greatwar/gallery...ges/va3619a.jpg

Chris

Hi Chris

The uniform that I mentioned in my earlier post had a circular patch sewn just below the collar middle of the back half white half claret, about 2" maybe a little smaller as it was awhile ago.

Regards

Don

• 1 month later...

Still looking.

Don

Hi Chris

The uniform that I mentioned in my earlier post had a circular patch sewn just below the collar middle of the back half white half claret, about 2" maybe a little smaller as it was awhile ago.

Regards

Don