Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Monmouth Regiment - Uniform?

clivep

I think the attached photos show someone who was in the Monmouth Regiment.

Can anyone confirm (or otherwise) please?

Does the uniform provide any other information?

Thanks in anticipation.

post-40408-1261928629.jpg

• Admin

I'd get in touch with Martyn Gibson, he is the Monmouths expert. Cap badge looks right to me.

Michelle

All battalions of this regiment were Territorial Force. Perhaps though a close up of the shoulder title will show which battalion. All other ranks are thought to have used the same cap badge I think. Regards, Paul.

I'd sy 1st Monmouth: the 2nd had a scroll under the bar, anf the 3rd was a rampant dragon.

This is a common misconception due some errors in badge books.. Only the Officers' badges had those traits. Soliders of the 4 Bns all wore the same design of dragon (with no scroll) in either white metal or in brass during the war. The 1st Bn adopted a new design of badge post war..

This is a common misconception due some errors in badge books.. Only the Officers' badges had those traits. Soliders of the 4 Bns all wore the same design of dragon (with no scroll) in either white metal or in brass during the war. The 1st Bn adopted a new design of badge post war..

Thanks - you learn something new every day!

If the shoulder title says T2, then presumably 2nd Battalion.

Superb image.

Note the foul weather cover on top of the cap.

Regards

TT

If that is the 2nd Bn then the badge will be brass. It is claimed by at least one author that the 1st bn wore plain w/m dragons.

I am dubious of this fact and suspect that this has been written because the 1st Bn changed their badge to a wm dragon within a wreath post war. White metal dragons do exist but I think they were worn in No 1 Dress hats and as such would not have been the preserve of the 1st Bn.

post-4655-1262025772.jpg