Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th Bn West Yorkshire regt. Somme 1916

harley1962

More help needed if you can my great great uncle 3/10384 Pte. William Trotter was k.i.a 27/09/1916 whilst serving with the 9th west yorks has anyone any information regarding what battle he would have been taking part in and previous actions to this. Also what does the 3/ of his service number mean.

Any information greatly appreciated.

Carole

Carole,

Battle of Thiepval Ridge 26-28 September 1916,his unit was with 11 Division. See :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Thiepval_Ridge

The 3/ on his service number might mean his joining the Training Battalion (usually the 3rd Bn) on attestation.

He is remembered on the Thiepval Memorial as he has no known grave.

Sotonmate

Carole

The 3 prefix meant he joined up as a special reservist, so stating the amount of time he was willing to serve in the armed forces. Say 1 year or 3 years, this was later extended to the duration of the war. [Enlisted as Sotonmate said into the 3rd Battalion, then transferred into the 9th Battalion when reinforcements where required].

His 3/10384 number would make him a mid August, early September 1914, at joining up.

Landed Egypt 14/11/1915, making him, part of the reinforcements sent out to bring the 9th back upto strength.

Hope this is of some help.

Thank you for your replies which are of great help.

All we knew of William was he enlisted underage and was sadly k.i.a at 17. I was recently fortunate to visit the Thiepval Memorial and lay a poppy near William's name.

post-9-1261847728.jpg

post-9-1261847773.jpg

Hope this will advance your research.

Regards as always Kevin

Would have thought that William joined the 9th Battalion at Sulva Bay, Half Moon Beach on the night of the 4th December 1915, when the 9th recieved reinforcements from Lemos of 4 Officers and 203 NCO's and men.

Regards Kevin

• 7 months later...

War Diary entry for the 9th Battalion 27/09/1916.

post-9-1261847548.jpg

Hi Kevin, I viewed your work on this topic with interest. Could you provide a viewable source for the 9ths. War Diary? The reason I ask is that my father was in this Regiment, I think from its inception (No. 21092 Pte.F Jones). Some time ago I researched his War Medals online only to find that he also has two other Regimental Numbers on his card:- 45381-HLI and 330970- Royal Scots. I can find nothing enlighting on these othe numbers.

Cheers in anticipation, BAJ