Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dimensions of rank stars and crowns

dutchbarge

Hello, Could a few members please measure the metallic stars (pips) and crowns on their original OSD 'wind up' tunics and post the dimensions (shoulder strap metallic, not cuff rank clothe). I've got a box of metallic stars and crowns and the difference in dimensions, not to mention finish, boggles the mind. I'm trying to find out what size was worn on an OSD 'wind up' tunic during the latter half of WW1.

Cheers, Bill

Bill

The metal pips on a tunic I have, which in my experience are of typical size, are 1 inch wide at the narrowest part, ie side to side, and 1.2 inches from point to point. A smaller size was sometimes worn, but I don't have examples so can't give dimensions. The other significant thing is that metal pips worn at the front were bronzed in the large majority of cases.

Regards,

W.

Hi Bill,

Here are the ones that I have. They are late Victorian - WW1 vintage.

Seph

post-18081-1261721988.jpg

Thanks Seph and W,

The dimensions seem to jib with my own tunics.

Regarding 'bronzed', would the crown and star be made of bronze, or of a brass base metal chemically treated to look like bronze?

Cheers, BIll

Bill... I would say they were either chemically treated, or sprayed to look bronze, as my examples look like brass based.

Seph

Bill... I would say they were either chemically treated, or sprayed to look bronze, as my examples look like brass based.

Seph

Thanks Seph, I would agree.

Cheers, BIll