Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capture of Karajokois

corisande

There is a reference to Capture of Karajokois in a number of places, but nothing actually gives any details, save saying that the 10th (Irish) Division took part and that was the date. Quite odd really as the implication is that it was a major engagement.

I suspect that I am missing something here, like looking up the wrong name. Can anyone help with either another name or any information on the capture.?

There's a word missing in your sentence. It's the Karajakois - Karajakoi Bala and Karajakoi Zir. They were taken along with nearby Yenikoi. "Under the Devil's Eye" says that this action was the first undertaken on the Struma front and was entrusted to 27th Division, from which 81st Brigade was selected. Bala was captured easily, clearing the enemy in 20 minutes. Zir was a stiffer proposition and took the rest of the day.

Keith

Thanks Rockdoc

It must be the place marked Harabkoj on this map wouldn't you think (note I have changed the map after writing this to take into account Rockdoc's correction)

jenikoj-map.jpg

Seems to be the most likely candidate

No, it's much further north on the Struma. Follow the road from Orljak to Seres across the valley floor and Yenikoi/Jenikoj is on the road itself. Bala and Zir are to the south of Yenikoi.

Keith

I am very grateful to you

I have changed my map to the above, which I think is correct and has the right places !

• 6 years later...

The assault on the villages of Karajakoi Zir and Karajaloi Bala took place 100 years ago today. The official history and Alan Wakefield's book 'Under the Devil's Eye' both cover this successful operation that paved the way for the creation of the out post line in the Struma valley. The villages occupied a strategic position to the south of the Seres road as can be seen in the map in post #3. The village of Yenikoi, on the Seres road was taken 3rd of October.

Thanks Andy,

I hadn't seen that before, for me personal accounts always adds something extra compared to the factual accounts such as the official history.

The book 'A Subaltern in Serbia' is available from Valley Classic Reprints, I have ordered a copy from Waterstones for £12.34 inc P&P.