Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform I.D.

johnpetermoss

Hi there,

I'm having difficulty identifying this uniform.post-47259-1261597464.jpg

I've trawled thro' all the earlier uniform threads but I can't see anything similar.

Unfortunately there's no cap, badge identification for the use of.

The lanyard, intermittent colour, end seems to be attached to button hole.

A circular badge under the left breast pocket flap/button.

No reinforcement above the breast pockets.

Collar appears sewn down.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Peter

Hi Peter

I don't think there is anything remarkable about the uniform.

Although the picture is a little small I think he is wearing a "Simplified Pattern" service dress jacket (without rifle patches as you point out) and also without pleats in the breast pockets. The collar has been tailored a little (perhaps the addition of a couple of hooks and eyes) to give it the natty tight fitting look - pretty common, especially amongst regulars but also affected by others.

The lanyard around his left shoulder is also common, almost universal on active service although usually plain khaki, may have a jack knife or whistle attached or may just be tucked into the pocket.

I think what you are seeing under his pocket flap is a watch and fob and chain although a close up would help here - this is of course not regulation - and as this appears to be taken from a family group picture there is no reason to expect him to be dressed for parade! Unfortunately I seen nothing at all here that will help identifying a unit.

Chris

Hi Peter

Although the picture is a little small I think he is wearing a "Simplified Pattern" service dress jacket (without rifle patches as you point out) and also without pleats in the breast pockets. The collar has been tailored a little (perhaps the addition of a couple of hooks and eyes) to give it the natty tight fitting look - pretty common, especially amongst regulars but also affected by others.

The lanyard around his left shoulder is also common, almost universal on active service although usually plain khaki, may have a jack knife or whistle attached or may just be tucked into the pocket.

I think what you are seeing under his pocket flap is a watch and fob and chain although a close up would help here - this is of course not regulation - and as this appears to be taken from a family group picture there is no reason to expect him to be dressed for parade! Unfortunately I seen nothing at all here that will help identifying a unit.

Chris

quote name='4thGordons' post='1327565' date='Dec 23 2009, 08:21 PM']Hi Peter

Chris

Hi Chris thanks for that, there are two brothers on the foto with different styles, I was hoping to be able to separate them

Regards Peter post-47259-1261604137.jpg[

Peter - I don't see any way to distinguish the two from this picture.

The jackets are not, to my eyes, different styles. they are both Service Dress jackets, although as I said the one on the left (first one shown) is a simplified pattern introduced in 1914 and common in photos in the earlier part of the war. This omitted shoulder (rifle) patches and pleats on the breast pockets. I cannot make out enough on the other jacket to tell which it is but either way the distinction is no help in separating units.

The only distinction between the two I can see is the collar. This is a relatively common modification - to either have it tailored slightly or sew on a couple of extra hooks-and-eyes so it closed up more tightly (in the manner of earlier jacket patterns which had a more "mandarin" style collar)

If you know something about the background, service and units of the men, involved you might speculate that if one were a pre-war soldier or had ben "in" a while when the photo was taken then he woul be the one with the modified collar - but this would be pure (it slightly informed) speculation.

Sorry - not much help I know.

Chris

The lanyard around his left shoulder is also common, almost universal on active service although usually plain khaki, may have a jack knife.....

This certainly has the outline of a jack knife. Good call, Chris!

shawn

post-46808-1262130160.jpg