Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

105 mm Kruppe Howitzer (1917)

husher1917

I am assisting an individual who has saved this gun from the scrap yard and is beginning the process of rebuilding it. The gun was part of a memorial in Embro, Ontario, Canada. No one seems to know the history of how this memorial came to be.

Some locals decided it was a potential liability risk and literally tore it out of the concrete it had been cast in many years ago.

Could any of the artillery experts out there provide any direction to technical specifications, pictures, drawings or other information to assist in this project?

Regards,

John Richardson

I am assisting an individual who has saved this gun from the scrap yard and is beginning the process of rebuilding it. The gun was part of a memorial in Embro, Ontario, Canada. No one seems to know the history of how this memorial came to be.

Some locals decided it was a potential liability risk and literally tore it out of the concrete it had been cast in many years ago.

Could any of the artillery experts out there provide any direction to technical specifications, pictures, drawings or other information to assist in this project?

Regards,

John Richardson

Hi John,

You may want to visit this site for photos:

http://www.passioncompassion1418.com/Canon....html#Allemagne

Is the cannon you mention listed? I did not see a Canadian cannon that matched the description you provided. If not, perhaps you should contact the website's owner...he would be interested in knowing about it. Any chance we can see some photos? :)

Rebuilding a piece of artillery is no small feat...hats off to you and your acquaintance.

-Daniel

Hi John,

You may want to visit this site for photos:

http://www.passioncompassion1418.com/Canon....html#Allemagne

Is the cannon you mention listed? I did not see a Canadian cannon that matched the description you provided. If not, perhaps you should contact the website's owner...he would be interested in knowing about it. Any chance we can see some photos? :)

Rebuilding a piece of artillery is no small feat...hats off to you and your acquaintance.

-Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the link. I believe it is a German gun, one of many (thousands) captured and transported back to Canada. The cast section, including the barrel has severe corrosion and the wrought sections are damaged and twisted. It will be a massive project, but my friend seems commited and I am trying to help with the engineering.

John

John,

If I may suggest this link:

Lovett Artillery

He's done exactly what your asking about.

Paul

• 4 years later...

John, I have heard that there were two guns at Embro. As a personal project, I am trying to keep track of all trophy guns and mortars still in Canada, in an online database with selected stories: http://www.alexcomber.com . My contact email can also be found on this site. Could you please give me any info you have about these cannon? Is the gun mentioned a long-barreled 10.5cm leFH howitzer? Most importantly, what is the serial no. on the back of the breech? If this has been eradicated or rusted out you may be able to find serial numbers in other spots...and the carriage no. is usually on the towing ring at the back of the trail. In return I would be more than happy to give you any information I have on which battalion captured this gun and where (sometimes available through the archival documents I have made copies of).

Your information would be much appreciated,

Best regards,

Alex