Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal to identify

jabutcher

I found this medal recently with my father's things, and other medals. Could someone please help identify?

My father's name was Cecil Roy BOWMAN and he was born in 1901 in New Zealand, and lived in NZ.

He was in WW2, Gunner in the 8th Army, and has the Africa Star and other medals relating to WW2.

Why has he got this 1917-18 one, with CRB on the front? Length is 4cm (1 and a half inches).

Did it relate to some sort of training camp for 16-year-old boys in NZ? Is it even his?

post-51738-1261449923.jpg

post-51738-1261449948.jpg

I found this medal recently with my father's things, and other medals. Could someone please help identify?

My father's name was Cecil Roy BOWMAN and he was born in 1901 in New Zealand, and lived in NZ.

He was in WW2, Gunner in the 8th Army, and has the Africa Star and other medals relating to WW2.

Why has he got this 1917-18 one, with CRB on the front? Length is 4cm (1 and a half inches).

Did it relate to some sort of training camp for 16-year-old boys in NZ? Is it even his?

Hi JennyNZ,

Welcome to the forum.

The Medal appears to be of the type worn on a watch Albert, you know when wearing a waistcoat, my grandfather had several for football and I still have them!

Why not have CRB on the front Cecil Roy Bowman?

It appears to be silver but it's difficult to pick out the makers name and Hallmarks.

It states presented to Cadet R Bowman but it is again difficult to make out -Best Discipline?

Best of luck with the Quest

Regards Peter

Looks like army service corps (NZ?) Cadet medalallion. Not strictly a medal , looks like a junior award, not an official medal as such.

It appears to be silver but it's difficult to pick out the makers name and Hallmarks.

Maybe this could help?

shawn

post-46808-1261697823.jpg

Birmingham [Anchor] & is that a letter "K"??

53rd Coy ASC To Cadet Bowman "for Best Discipline",

Of the three stamps on the right, Birmingham used this symbol but there seems to be an extra bar on it.

Makers mark on the left F H A Ld ?

Of the three stamps on the right, Birmingham used this symbol but there seems to be an extra bar on it.

Makers mark on the left F H A Ld ?

F H Adams Ld Silversmiths Birmingham first part of 20 Century k 1909

Hi JennyNZ,

Welcome to the forum.

The Medal appears to be of the type worn on a watch Albert, you know when wearing a waistcoat, my grandfather had several for football and I still have them!

Why not have CRB on the front Cecil Roy Bowman?

It states presented to Cadet R Bowman but it is again difficult to make out -Best Discipline?

Best of luck with the Quest

Regards Peter

Hi Peter,

Sorry about delay. Busy over Christmas. I apologise to everyone who has replied, and I will go through the replies one at a time. Thanks for your suggestion re pocket watch.

The reason I queried the "CRB" was because the engraving says "Cadet R. Bowman", and my father never used his middle name.

To be consistent, it would be "Cadet C. Bowman", or else maybe "RB" for the initials.

Yes, it says "Best Discipline".

I am also wondering how my father could have been associated with WW1, keeping in mind he was only born in 1901, in NZ, and that he was a country boy, interested in sailing and boy things.

Yes, it does appear to be silver. It says F.H.A.L.D, with the "D" in superscript.

The other 3 symbols appear to be: an upright anchor (maybe with an extra bar), a lion, and the capital letter "R".

Thanks for your reply,

Jenny

Looks like army service corps (NZ?) Cadet medalallion. Not strictly a medal , looks like a junior award, not an official medal as such.

That sounds as though it could fit. Thanks,

Jenny

Anchor is Birmingham? OK, thanks.

I think it is an "R" on the silver hallmarks.

It also clearly says "Cadet R Bowman" for some strange reason, although my father never used his middle name. Should be "Cadet C Bowman."

F H Adams Ld Silversmiths Birmingham first part of 20 Century k 1909

Oh, OK, thanks for the "F.H.Adams Ltd" and the "Birmingham".

Probably all NZ silver medallions were made somewhere in Britain, so knowing this would probably only help if we knew what organisation ordered this particular design.

k 1909: I presume you mean that if it is a K, then it was made in 1909?

This date would be right, but it still looks more like an R, actually.

Thank you so much for all this help,

Jenny

Summary (so far):

I have followed up the useful hints re the hallmarks, and confirmed that it is indeed

FH Adams Ltd., Birmingham. They used this mark (FHALD) between 1908 and 1915, and they worked from New John Street.

An anchor is certainly Birmingham, although there is no mention of an extra bar, as my medallion appears to have.

The lion indicates sterling silver.

And the "R" date is still confusing. But I think now that you are all correct, and it is in fact a "k" (thus 1909).

Regarding the cadet organisation, this is still unknown, but probably NZ cadets of some kind.

Regarding the name confusion, still unknown, still confusing.

Jenny