Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French Machine Gun Bn. 1917

HMS Resolute

Now that I have a little more knowledge on the subject. I am wondering what exactly would a Corporal Gunner be wearing? I am interested around the Horizon bleu era when the single breasted great coat was issued. I believe that he would carry atleast 2 ammunition boxes. But other than that, I'm baffled. On the scan that rene sent me, I see 2 types of MG patches. One is apparently elite while the other is standard. What's the difference? Where would everything be worn? Would the Corp. Gunner wear the Vareuse or the greatcoat?

If the corporal gunner really did carry ammunition boxes, It would be really nice to see photo's of one.

Also, the equipment that a corporal gunner wore would be extremely helpful. Would he wear a regular rifleman's equipment belt or a modified belt that carried a pistol? Thank's for looking. Sorry I am so ill-informed on the subject.

Hi,

firstly, no such thing, as far as I know and generally speaking, as 'french MG Bn.' existed. Like (early) german army, a MG section was attached to each infantry regiment or battalion (in the case f.e. chasseurs), called 'compagnie de mitrailleuses'. During the war its numbers were increased, but as far as I know no independent 'MG-Bn' were created. The teams wore the standard (infantry) uniform, as off 1915 'bleu horizon'. There were several special sleeve-insignia: crossed-cannon for 'tireur' etc etc. Standard equipment but usually armed with the carabine, in some cases with revolver or auto pistol. PM and I'll send you some scans.

:rolleyes: