Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identify regiments from this photo?

tmwhi

Hi there

I've been looking into my great, great uncles' military histories and have been given the attached photo by a relative.

The two men on it don't look anything like either of my great uncles but I wonder if anybody can tell who either of the men in this photo were serving with? I've tried quite a few websites to look at the badges but think I need an expert eye.

Thanks in advance.

post-49857-1261408971.jpg

post-49857-1261410024.jpg

One on the left appears as if it may be the cap badge of Royal Dublin Fusiliers. Not a clue regarding the one on the right.

They both appear to be wearing spurs and non regulation belts, especailly the belt of the one on the left. What the significance of the goat is I am unsure; I wonder if it is perhaps a mascot or regimental pet in the care of a transport section?

hi

Definitely Lancashire Fusiliers on the left,you can tell by the shape of the scroll,99% sure Army Service Corps on the right,i hope this helps.

jonathan

Appears, to me, to be Lancashire Fusiliers on the left and Army Service Corps on the right.

Steve

I would agree, Lancashire Fusiliers, with its three-part scroll, is on the left; on the right, most probably ASC (Though I did think of the Kensingtons, 13th Bn London Regiment). There are many minor variants of the ASC badges, hence the element of doubt.

Cheers

Peter

Thanks everyone, I didn't want to mention army service corps up front, but we did think that the man on the right was my great great uncle Ernest Petey - Driver (T2/9655) in the ASC. Discharged with a pension before the end of the war then died in 1922 from "Pneumonia aggravated by Malaria of Military Service", and only 6 months married.

Regarding the man on the left, is there any chance he was wearing anything associated with the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers rather than the Lancs?

Is that an alligator or a crocodile at there feet?

Alan

Not Sure! Whose the resident Reptilian expert?

shawn

post-46808-1261448781.jpg

• 2 months later...
........Regarding the man on the left, is there any chance he was wearing anything associated with the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers rather than the Lancs?

Hi there

Is anybody able to shed any light on my above post?

It's beyond me so I'm hoping somebody here can help!

Thanks

tmwhi

Looks to be a Lancashire Fusiliers badge. Looks like he may have a belt with other buttons/insigna he has collected. Allways possible though that a man changed regiments during the war, often after being wounded and another regiment was more in need of men. I think a medal index card would show regiments served with overseas- but i'm no expert on that. Regards, Paul.- good tip when tryind to identify people if unsure is the shape of the ears.

tmwhi,

post-20192-1267729837.jpg

A. post-20192-1267729522.jpg B. post-20192-1267729527.jpg

C. post-20192-1267729532.jpg D. post-20192-1267730126.jpg

A. Lancashire Fusiliers

B. Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

C. Royal Irish Fusiliers (for info)

D. Royal Dublin Fusiliers (for info)

Lancashire Fusiliers wins hands down!

Cheers,

Mark

Is it me or is the Lancashire Fusilier on the left wearing clogs?

The sole seems too curved for ordinary boots.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks everybody for clearing that up for me.

Strange photograph really, they don't appear to be in very smart clothing and a rubber croc at their feet. Possibly taken back home as I think the two men are brothers-in-law.

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure of the regiment but the photo I am sure was taken in the Middle East, for a number of clues, one the Goat its an Anglo-Nubian, these goats were from the Cross-breeding of English goats and Zariby of Egypt, producing a stong goat that could thrive in a hot climat and still produces quality milk. The British introduce them into the Middle East in the 1800.

The Belts on both men are Arabic, the man on the left of the Screen as Arabic worry beeds near to his left hand, the other man has a Jambiya dagger an Islamic knife.

It could be they were in The Mesopotamian Campaign (Modern Day Iraq) or Palestine.