Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

introduction of SD c. 1902.

Muerrisch

Can't say vis a vis delivery, but the first pattern was sealed August 13th 1901. The shoulder cord was added 29th July 1903; and the fixed shoulder strap 30th November 1904.

The earliest photo shown in Chambers is the Irish Guards in 1903. That is, of course, of one ignores the serge SD worn in the Boer period, and apparently sealed in 1900.

Best wishes,

GT.

Thanks: I have histories RWF and 15th Foot : both just say 1902 but I think they are going on the AO 10 of Jan 1902 and not talking about their soldiers wearing it.

SD was certainly worn during the final stages of the Boer War. There are numerous photos, and I've seen two actual examples dated 1901, one to the South African Constabulary.

remarkable: are you sure we are talking about the same drab pattern used [almost without change] in 1914. If so, someone reacted amazingly quickly to the sealed patterns etc, which were summer 1901. Any photos, anyone, please?

remarkable: are you sure we are talking about the same drab pattern used [almost without change] in 1914. If so, someone reacted amazingly quickly to the sealed patterns etc, which were summer 1901. Any photos, anyone, please?

The 1900 pattern had more of a Mao-style collar, and lacked breast pockets; but one can see what's coming. Closer still is the Imperial Yeomanry style SD, which had four pockets (albeit scalloped flaps) and a folding collar. Add some rifle patches and more-or-less voila!

Hopefully Krithia can post some of his early images - paternity leave allowing - as it's a ****** of a book to try to scan (even if one had permission).

Best wishes,

GT.

Sorry I can't locate any photos at the moment, but we definitely are talking about the same thing - the first iteration of SD with detachable shoulder straps.

May I ask - as a supplemementary question - if the introduction of officer's bronze SD cap and collar badges are mentioned in the AO of 10th Jan 1902 ?? - or elsewhere ?

Grumpy,

The bulk of issue was after January 1902 with priority going to troops returning from South Africa also excluded Household troops and Militia etc.

There were considerable stiockaghe but haphazard in nature in Januray 1902 when AO10 was issued.

The "Vetch Committee Report", if I recall, outlines the history of the use of Subdued Serge clothing which was common before and during the Boer war in a hodge podge of varieties. It also describes the process of the introduction of Service Dress. I believee the Vetch report describes trials patterns going to South Africa prior to the pattern sealing.

I'm not home to look at my copy of the report to ensure I'm remembering correctly what is actually in that report I haven't read it quite awhile.

Merry Christmas

and take care,

Joe Sweeney

Joe, many thanks, in due course please see if you could add something on Vetch, and meanwhile I will pursue Hansard and other possible leads.

Happy Christmas!

• 4 months later...

Here's the beginning of a report called 'Changes in clothing, equipment, etc., during the year 1902', by Captain and Quarter-Master W. Ross, from the Oxon & Bucks Light Infantry Chronicle for 1902:

During the year 1902, the khaki and drab serge clothing in wear was replaced as it became worn out by articles of the Universal Service Dress pattern, and on return from South Africa the whole Battalion was clothed in this dress.

The Universal Service Dress is made of much the same material as the drab serge which preceded it, but it is cut differently; the jacket has a turned-down collar, shoulder rifle patches, and two breast pockets. The trousers are made narrow as they approach the ankle, and are cut short so as just to reach the top of the boot. The details that were taken over on our arrival home are still in possession of the old pattern clothing, but these are being replaced by the Service Dress as the men become entitled to new issues, i.e. as the anniversary of their enlistment comes round.

Felt hats (white puggaries provided regimentally) which were very popular, have been withdrawn, and the home-pattern helmet issued instead for wear with the tunic, the Field Service cap being worn with Service Dress. As a temporary measure brown leather leggings are issued with the Service Dress instead of putties until the stock at Pimlico is used up.

Tunics.
- On the Battalion being completed to the home scale of clothing, about three-fifths of the men received the new pattern tunic with slashed tails and six buttons on the skirt instead of two, pointed cuffs and piping round the edge of the shoulder straps. Arrangements are being made to have the remainder converted to the new pattern out of regimental or private funds.

Officers' Uniform.
- The new pattern Universal Service Dress has not yet been taken into wear.

(the article then goes on to deal with rifles, bandoliers, mess tins and carbines).

:poppy:

3rd Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers Notes - Parkhurst Barracks, Isle of Wight(22nd Feb 1902);-

"The Battalion is now served out with the new universal Service Uniform, and is quite ready to start for the West Indies, but no orders have arrived to date. It is rumoured that the authorities are not quite sure where Antigua is yet".

Having re-read the above I'm sure I've answered this one before???

4th Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers Notes - Richmond Barracks, Dublin(25th Feb 1902);-

"We seem fated to be chameleons under the caprice of some mysterious being who has a great admiration for quick change artistry. Everyone in the Garrison seems turned out differently, and, we imagine, will continue to be until Germanization has run it's course, and the turban, or some other outlandish headgear, comes into fashion".

Grumpy, I'd forgotten about this thread. Regarding Post # 9. May I belatedly ask if we are far enough after Christmas. ! best wishes.

Grumpy, I'd forgotten about this thread. Regarding Post # 9. May I belatedly ask if we are far enough after Christmas. ! best wishes.

nearly halfway!