Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Salonikan Dugout Collapse

Trebrys

I have been researching into the history of two Cardiff brothers who were killed during the First World War - Joseph and Alexander Patten.

It seems that Joseph was killed on 23 October 1916 when his dugout collapsed while he was serving with the 85th Small Arms Ammunition Col. in Salonika. I have learnt that he was one of seven who died during the collapse. Would anyone have any information about this tragedy or even the names of the others who perished? Would anyone know what the weather was like at this time there? I know that conditions at this particular front were especially extreme as regards weather.

A thought has occurred. I might be able to find who they were by looking up the names at the cemetery in question - Lahana Cemetery.

Best wishes,

Trebrys.

Trebrys,

This is where one skips over to Geoff's Search Engine.

Two likely candidates for you from Lahana Cemetery:

HAYNES CH 48619 31ST BDE SMALL ARMS AMMUNITION COL 23/10/1916 ROYAL FIELD ARTILLERY

LOVELL A 111129 31ST SMALL ARMS AMMUNITION COL 23/10/1916 ROYAL FIELD ARTILLERY

Lembet Road Military Cemetery has these possibles:

BAKER W 13221 9TH BN 23/10/1916 EAST LANCASHIRE REGIMENT

EVERSON W 13273 67TH BDE HQ 23/10/1916 ROYAL FIELD ARTILLERY

LOVELL AW 20423 NO 1 AIR LINE SECT 23/10/1916 ROYAL ENGINEERS

MURRAY H 15370 2ND BN 23/10/1916 EAST YORKSHIRE REGIMENT

PICKUP F 7531 12TH BN 23/10/1916 LANCASHIRE FUSILIERS

QUIGLEY O G/838 A COY 2ND GARRISON BN 23/10/1916 ROYAL IRISH FUSILIERS

SCHOFIELD JH 12156 77TH COY 23/10/1916 MACHINE GUN CORPS

Thanks David!

I'd found the two at Lahana but the others are very interesting indeed!! Thanks for them!! I hadn't seen these!!

Regards,

Trebrys.

Thanks to David Porter and his research, but it seems that the initial figure of seven might be a mistake enlarged by the mists of time!

Two firm candidates to have been with Patten are:

Charles Henry Haynes aged 27 from Knowle, Birmingham

Albert Lovell aged 18 from 11 Cross Lanes, Hebden Bridge in Yorkshire

May they be remembered at this time for families!

Trebrys.

Thanks to David Porter and his research, but it seems that the initial figure of seven might be a mistake enlarged by the mists of time!

Two firm candidates to have been with Patten are:

Charles Henry Haynes aged 27 from Knowle, Birmingham

Albert Lovell aged 18 from 11 Cross Lanes, Hebden Bridge in Yorkshire

May they be remembered at this time for families!

Trebrys.

Hi Trebrys.

Ref Dvr Albert Lovell, RFA, 31 Small Arms Ammunition Column, died 23/10/1916 of Malaria, in Admiralty Casualty Clearing Station, Salonika, buried Lahana Military Cemetery. He was one of five brothers in Army, hope this is of some use. Kindest Regards DaveC

Many thanks for that! The poor soul! But it's this sort of confirmation I'm looking for!

Many thanks for your input.

Regards,

Trebrys.

I should have asked you before but how did you come across this information about Lovell? Is there any way of confirming the fate of the others?

Regards,

Trebrys.

I should have asked you before but how did you come across this information about Lovell? Is there any way of confirming the fate of the others?

Regards,

Trebrys.

Hi Trebrys

I have three newspaper articles on Dvr Lovell, and a portrait picture of him, which you are quite welcome to have. I've tried to up load them on to the forum but they are to big, and i don't know how to redjuce. if you PM me i can send them by email. Kindest Regards DaveC

To sesixe pics use whatever photo editing software you have and use resize to make it no more than about 600 pixels wide (use the help facility if you cannot find the right option).

Returning to the casualties, those at Lembet Road are unlikely to match as Lembet Road was a base camp cemetery and unless the casualties lingered awhile they would have been buried nearer the front.

The seven who died in the collapse might be just a family myth! I'll just have to hope that there's something in the regiment's war diary! A task for after the Christmas festivities it seems!

Thanks to all!

Trebrys.

• 1 year later...

I’ve only recently registered with The Great War Forum so I’m still finding my way around the site.

However, I’m particularly interested in the topic about the ‘Salonikan Dugout Collapse’. My grandfather’s brother was the Albert Lovell mentioned in the messages that have been posted. I’m currently researching his military history.

Albert was a driver in the RFA who died of malaria and is buried in Lahana Military Cemetery, Greece. He was one of several Lovell brothers who saw action in the Great War. Most of the brothers were employed as grooms or coachmen in civilian life so presumably were drafted into regiments where horse skills were demanded.

Having read the exchange of messages I’m now wondering if Albert suffered injuries in the dugout collapse before his death from malaria??

I’d be particularly interested if anyone can provide additional information about Albert and the dugout collapse.

Many thanks,

Michael Thomas

I'll move this to the Salonika section, where it may aatract the attention of our Salonika aficionados.

• 3 weeks later...

Just some background information. According to 26th Div. CRA War Diary orders were received during October 1916 advising units were going to remain in position over winter and winter dugouts were to be prepared. There is no mention of bad weather during October.

Do you know where the unit was located?

Andrew

[Edit: Don't worry just found the answer - 85th Brigade, 28th Division]