Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1914 stars to Irish Guards

Guest andyt

Can anyone help with this one, years ago I had a 14 trio to Irish guards and didn't like the star, it was thinner, had a thinner suspension ring which appeared to be set forward when looking at the back of star (ie not flush with back). I have seen another 14 trio to Irish Guards and the star has the same characteristics!, is this common with 14 stars to Irish Guards, has anyone out there got similar 14 star to Irish Guards, I have many 14 trios to other units which I compared with, never to old to learn, please advise.

Hi Andy,

The group was fine I have a number of similar ones, don't forget the 1914 stars were made by several different firms so you get variations. By the way what was the guys name on the group just in case its was one I am chasing.

regards Mick

...don't forget the 1914 stars were made by several different firms so you get variations.

As far as I am aware all 1914 Stars were struck by the Royal Mint,and hand finished,causing differences with the suspension ring,different dies may have been used however with minor differences,thickness variations tend to occur when Stars are Skimmed either officially to correct errors or to remove or rename...

• 1 year later...

<!--quoteo(post=1326484:date=Dec 21 2009, 07:43 PM:name=thatchgun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thatchgun @ Dec 21 2009, 07:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1326484"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...don't forget the 1914 stars were made by several different firms so you get variations.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As far as I am aware all 1914 Stars were struck by the Royal Mint,and hand finished,causing differences with the suspension ring,different dies may have been used however with minor differences,thickness variations tend to occur when Stars are Skimmed either officially to correct errors or to remove or rename...

I'm after an Irish Guards single or group to a Loos casualty. Can anyone help?

AndyM