Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th Battalion Sherwood Foresters

zippy.72

Thought pals might enjoy this picture. With the photo came a card that reads Mr J H Roe 4th Btn Sherwood Foresters

Any idea of identities/time and place taken?post-6289-1261164841.jpg

Thought pals might enjoy this picture. With the photo came a card that reads Mr J H Roe 4th Btn Sherwood Foresters

Any idea of identities/time and place taken?post-6289-1261164841.jpg

Hi Tim, are you sure the picture shown is the 4th Battalion? i am certain its Officers of the 5th Battalion, Notts and Derby Regt.

I can name all of the officers which includes Lt/Col B.H. Beaumont-Checkland MC,TD and the 2i/c Major J.D. Kerr MC,TD.

The photo was taken in 1924/25 most likely at Catterick camp.

Let me know if you want the full list of names. BRONNO.

Hi Tim, are you sure the picture shown is the 4th Battalion? i am certain its Officers of the 5th Battalion, Notts and Derby Regt.

I can name all of the officers which includes Lt/Col B.H. Beaumont-Checkland MC,TD and the 2i/c Major J.D. Kerr MC,TD.

Just going by the business card that came with the picture. Does the name ring a bell?

Just going by the business card that came with the picture. Does the name ring a bell?

Lieutenant J.H.Roe is standing third from the left on the back row. He joined the 5th Battalion on the 8th February 1921. :blush: BRONNO.

Lieutenant J.H.Roe is standing third from the left on the back row. He joined the 5th Battalion on the 8th February 1921. :blush: BRONNO.

Thanks for that. Would like a list of all. Do you want a copy?

Tim

Thanks for that. Would like a list of all. Do you want a copy?

Tim

Tim, I will pm you a list of all the Officers after doing my Christmas shopping, thats asap. BRONNO. :hypocrite:

• 1 month later...
Guest Guy Hopkins

Hi, I was reading you're post as I am trying to track down information on my Great Grandfather who was Lt/Col Henry Beaumont-Checkland. Could you please tell me where he is in the picture. I have a copy of an old photo of Col Beaumont Checkland that my father gave me but its dificult to try and make him out in the picture you attached.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Guy

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, I was reading you're post as I am trying to track down information on my Great Grandfather who was Lt/Col Henry Beaumont-Checkland. Could you please tell me where he is in the picture. I have a copy of an old photo of Col Beaumont Checkland that my father gave me but its dificult to try and make him out in the picture you attached.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Guy

Hello Guy,

I have several photographs of HBC, he is situated middle front row.

The picture was taken at Catterick Camp in 1925.

Have you tried contacting the Regimental Museum at Nottingham i am quite sure they would be glad to help. BRONNO.

• 3 years later...

hi, im new to the forum, but would like a pic of lt col Beaumont Checkland if possible, as I have recently acquired his dress tunic at auction

thanks in advance dave

• 1 year later...
Guest Ebayjunkie

Hi there, just joined. I saw on here that Dave is looking for a photo of my great grandfather Beaumont Henry Beaumont-Checkland. This is late given that he was looking for it in January 2014 but hopefully not too late.

post-124952-0-38399200-1445683739_thumb.

• 8 years later...
On 19/12/2009 at 11:48, BRONNO said:

I know this is 15 years after your original post but I’d love a list of these officers.

I’m researching Captain Frederick Henry Meredith Lewes, who was a Lieutenant in the officers’ photo below just before the 1/5 Battalion left for France in 1915. I see that Captains JD Kerr and  BH Beaumont-Checkland are both in the third row.

IMG_5566.jpeg

Edited by Tracey Ball

• Admin

@BRONNOlast visited the forum in May last year. My tag might alert them to your post. 

1 hour ago, Michelle Young said:

@BRONNOlast visited the forum in May last year. My tag might alert them to your post. 

Thank you for that! I’m not sure how to tag - or even whether I can do it myself! 

• Admin

Just type @ then start typing their username without a space. 

Hi there,

I'm still around and received your tag.

BRONNO

On 29/02/2024 at 14:06, BRONNO said:

Hi there,

I'm still around and received your tag.

BRONNO

Hi BRONNO

I’m researching Captain Frederick Henry Meredith Lewes, 1/5 Sherwood Foresters, who appears as a Lieutenant in the photo I attached above, just before they left for France. I’d be really grateful for a list of the names of the officers in your photo, as I believe several are with him in the photo I attached.

Edited by Tracey Ball

Tracey, 

I'm a little confused with regards to your question of naming of officers are we talking about the first post from 2009?

All the 1/5th Battalion Officers are named in one of the post at the bottom of the picture which was taken from the 1/5th Battalion history by L.W. de Grave (1930).

Let me know.

BRONNO

On 04/03/2024 at 10:43, BRONNO said:

Tracey, 

I'm a little confused with regards to your question of naming of officers are we talking about the first post from 2009?

All the 1/5th Battalion Officers are named in one of the post at the bottom of the picture which was taken from the 1/5th Battalion history by L.W. de Grave (1930).

Let me know.

BRONNO

Hi BRONNO,

Yes, it’s your original photo I’m referring to. Thank you for referencing the title/author for the other one, btw!

4 hours ago, Tracey Ball said:

Hi BRONNO,

Yes, it’s your original photo I’m referring to. Thank you for referencing the title/author for the other one, btw!

bbbbb.jpg

1 hour ago, BRONNO said:

bbbbb.jpg

Thank you so much for this, BRONNO; I’ll be cross-referencing now!

On 28/02/2024 at 16:29, Tracey Ball said:

I know this is 15 years after your original post but I’d love a list of these officers.

I’m researching Captain Frederick Henry Meredith Lewes, who was a Lieutenant in the officers’ photo below just before the 1/5 Battalion left for France in 1915. I see that Captains JD Kerr and  BH Beaumont-Checkland are both in the third row.

IMG_5566.jpeg

Without most of the central line.

Howard

swf.jpg