Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regimental Depot of the Buffs

lostinspace

Hello all,

I'm doing some research on the pre-war regimental depots and have run into a problem regarding the East Kent Rgt., apparently there are (were) at least five barracks east of the town center, four along Military Road (Infantry, Northgate, Artillery and Cavalry) and one along St. Martin's Hill (Howe). Not sure when Howe was completed but one internet source says the Buffs moved in about 1873, another internet source shows a map "c. 1900's" that has the depot located in the Infantry Barracks along Military Road. I would certainly appreciate any help from the forum as the internet can be a good source of information but sometimes the details are shaky, to say the least.

Thanks,

Lostinspace

Thanks CT-Guards but that website is where I obtained most of what little information I have. Will check it over again and see if maybe I can e-mail the owner and find out more.

Regards,

lostinspace

Just in case anyone is interested I think I may have found the answer in Kelly's Directory (Kent) of July, 1913. The Buffs depot is simply called "The Barracks, Sturry Road" which must mean that Howe barracks was not the depot since Sturry Road runs along the north side of Infantry, Northgate, Artillery and Cavalry Barracks. Oh, the 3rd Special Reserve Bn. was commanded by Lt. Col. H.D. Hirst and the Depot by Maj. W.A. Eaton. Many thanks to Moonraker for the information about Kelly's Directory in a previous thread on this forum.

lostinspace

• 2 years later...

I've been reading the posts on this forum, and various websites, and I'm getting more and more confused. Apparently, there were at least five barracks east of Canterbury town centre; four along Military Road:

• Infantry Barracks (also known as Wemyss Barracks)
  • Artillery Barracks
  • Cavalry Barracks
  • Northgate Barracks

and one above St Martin’s Hill, on the Sandwich Road:

• Howe Barracks (formerly a cavalry depot?)

What I'd like to know is, which one was the Buffs Depot? The general consensus appears to be that it was at Howe Barracks; however, in the 1930, 1934 and 1938 editions of Kelly's Directory, it mentions "The Buffs (East Kent Regiment) Depot, Military Road", which presumably rules out Howe Barracks. So, was the Depot at the Infantry Barracks on Military Road? Am I correct to say that this was also known as Wemyss Barracks? One other thing - it seems that Howe Barracks are named after Gerard Randall Howe, who was officer commanding the Buffs Depot in 1938. I suppose the change of name must have happened after Lt Col Howe retired from the Army in October 1946; does this mean that the Depot moved to Howe Barracks after the end of the Second World War?

• 1 month later...

Richard,

Just noticed your post from last month, I'm afraid I don't have much to add, looking at an image from "Old-Maps UK" (1908) it seems that there were three barracks between Sturry and Military Roads - Infantry, Artillery and Cavalry, there is a Northgate brewery but no sign of a barracks and Howe apparently didn't exist pre-1914. Not sure when "Wemyss" came into the picture but it probably refers to Howe Barracks as there is a "Wemyss Way" on modern maps in the vicinity.

Regards,

Dave

Jonathan,

I took your advice, thanks. Hopefully we will get a definitive answer.

Regards,

Dave

I believe that Northgate Barracks is another name for the barracks complex comprising the Infantry, Artillery and Cavalry Barracks next to Sturry Road. I seem to recall that Sturry Road was originally called Northgate. It is my understanding that two of these three barracks were also known as Wemyss (Infantry) and King's (Cavalry) Barracks at various times. All three were built during the Napoleonic wars. The Artillery Barracks were originally Infantry Barracks until the 'new' infantry barracks were completed in 1811. Apart from the portion of the Cavalry Barracks area retained for use by the TA, these barracks were disposed of in about 1967. There was a small militia depot at the NE corner of the Cavalry Barracks where there is now a Lidl store.

There was also a large Military Hospital in Chaucer Road on the site now occupied by the Law Courts. A block of flats (Chaucerwood Court) occupies what appears to have been the 20th century nurses' home building of the former hospital. The main hospital building dated from 1812 and was swept away some time before the Law Courts buildings were built.

Howe Barracks are more recent, built during the early '40s. The main building is a large 'Sandhurst Block' typical of this era.

There were other Napoleonic cavalry barracks (St Gregory's Barracks) further SW where (confusingly) Artillery Street and Artillery Gardens now lie. The street names suggest that the 'cavalry' barracks were actually RHA barracks. I believe that they may well have been temporary wooden hutted structure typical of many erected at that time throughout the country and were very probably dismantled and sold off shortly after the end of hostilities.

Some distance south from here by the Old Dover Road, where the St Lawrence Cricket Ground now stands, was a Napoleonic era military Ordnance Depot. Again, probably disposed of soon after the end of hostilities.

GG,

Thanks for your input, I think we are gradually coming to the conclusion that the Infantry Barracks south of Sturry Road was the depot for the East Kent Regiment in 1914. If you look at the link in post # 2, about half way through the article there is a map labeled "c.1900's", it shows Northgate Barracks inside the Infantry Barracks complex (identified as the East Kent Depot) and across Sturry Road from the Northgate Brewery, I think it's from the Ordnance Survey map of 1907, here - http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html , as you can see, Northgate Street becomes Sturry Road in the same general area, I Googled "Northgate Barracks" and found a RootsWeb thread indicating that it was an East Kent Militia Barracks (according to the 1881 Census).

Regards,

Dave

I see that the link doesn't take you to the proper map, for anyone interested type in "Canterbury" in the search box, the old maps will show up on the right.

Received this from "The Queen's Own Buffs" message forum -

"Wemyss Barracks is at the far end of Military Road and in early 1961 was the training dept for the Home Counties Brigade.

As far as the age of Howe Barracks, one would tend to date it as after the Second world war from the style and layout of the buildings,but thats not to say the Barracks had not been rebuilt on the original site of an older Barracks."

I guess it's understandable that in an area with a history like Canterbury's there would have been scores of name changes, official and unofficial.

Dave

• 3 years later...

The design of Howe Barracks is a typical 'Sandhurst Block' design of which there were/are many examples throughout the UK. Most were built in the period immediately preceding WW2. Howe Barracks appears to have been started at about that time, but completed, perhaps, post war. The Google Earth overlay dated 1940 shows a partially completed 'Sandhurst Block' building on the site. The East and West wings are present, but the connecting middle section is absent. On the 1960 overlay. the building is complete.

According to earlier maps of the area, Howe Barracks was built upon previously undeveloped land. Very probably it was existing WD land that formed part of the garrison training area.