Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New CWGC Commemorations

Terry Denham

CWGC added the following 'new' WW1 casualties to its Debt of Honour database on Wednesday 16th December

Pte Edward Victor CONSTABLE

41865 11th Bn, East Yorkshire Regiment

Died 03.12.18 Age 19

Commemoration: Brookwood (United Kingdom 1914-1918) Memorial, Surrey, UK

Cpl Frederick James DANIELS

240409 1/6th Bn, Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Died 10.06.18 Age 23

Pte Edward Oakley EVANS

33401 6th Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers)

Died 30.05.20 Age 19

Pte Ernest FAICHNEY

53276 2/10th Bn, Royal Scots

Died 27.06.19 Age 19

Spr William KENNEDY

WR/350384 Royal Engineers

Died 26.02.18 Age 35

Pte William MACINTOSH

326604 2/9th Bn, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders

Died 26.03.17 Age 22

Pte Alfred Ellison McDOWELL

S4/065481 Army Service Corps

Died 12.09.17 Age 36

Capt Francis Augustus Maling WELSH

Royal Irish Fusiliers

Died 14.10.14 Age 41

Buried: Folkestone Old Cemetery, Kent, UK

NOT FORGOTTEN

The above (except Pte McDowell) are In From the Cold Project cases.

Pte Constable (Volunteer: Steve Mattock)

- Died at sea

Cpl Daniels (Volunteer: Alan Curragh)

- Died of influenza whilst a PoW in Germany

Pte Evans (Volunteer: Geoff Sullivan)

- Fell overboard and drowned from a ship in Germany

Pte Faichney (Volunteer: Jim Grant)

- Drowned in Firth of Clyde off Dunoon

Spr Kennedy (Volunteer: Bernie Barton)

- Drowned at sea

Pte Macintosh (Volunteer: Kevin O’Neill)

- Committed suicide by cutting his throat

Capt Welsh (Volunteer: Chris Harley)

- Died of phthisis

Pte McDowell was put forward on 02.08.09 on behalf of member, LST_164. This casualty died after discharge of tuberculosis.

Pte Macintosh is a good example of the circumstances of a serving man’s death being no bar to war grave status and CWGC commemoration. He committed suicide after allegedly killing his wife of six months.

May They Rest In Peace

Captain Welsh is another Times obituary case

Putting all these new names on Brookwood when Im trying to take them off; its just not good enough - bah humbug :D

Rest in peace soldier boy's,

Gone and no longer forgotten. :poppy:

Thanks for that information Terry,

McDowell, a former journalist in Liverpool, served in France 1915-17 when his illness developed and he was invalided home, only to die some months later. His wife remarried, and all information about him was dispersed.

I knew his youngest daughter some years back and told her I'd have a go at finding out about his service career: he has files in WO 363 and 364 which helped to prove his case for commemoration. At least she got to see copies of those before she passed away some 4 years ago.

Thanks also to efforts by people like the late Graham Maddocks and our own Daggers, his grave has been located at Kirkdale (Long Lane) Cemetery, Walton and once this has been proved to CWGC's satisfaction there may be a new headstone erected rather than another name on the Brookwood Memorial.

Not forgotten.

LST_164

Ernest Faichney

Ernest was born at Muthill, Perthshire on 9th September 1899 to Betsy Faichney, sick nurse. He drowned in the Firth of Clyde, off Dunoon. His Usual Residence was given as 19 Kerr St. Glasgow. Mr and Mrs James Willox resided there. She was Bessie Faichney, believed to be his sister.

William Macintosh

Following examination by the Fiscal, William and his wife Alice were both officially recorded as dying at about 4.20 pm. The cause of her death was established as homicidal, his suicidal. Whether he murdered his wife and took his own life, or a death pact was carried out we can never tell. A tragic case, he was 22, she was 23.

MISSING NO MORE

Terry,

did you not receive my email to you on 2 December with the grave location details?

LST_164

Have noted Mcdowell for IFCP 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Pte William MACINTOSH

326604 2/9th Bn, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders

Died 26.03.17 Age 22

Grave found

GLASGOW EASTERN NECROPOLIS

Actual site not known

Guest KevinEndon

Chris, do you know if William McIntosh is buried with his wife or not.

I hope you can find both graves so that I can lay some flowers at their graves next time I am up in Glasgow.

Kevin

Kevin

Glasgow City Council did not give me that info; they were not able to give me the exact location to the fact he is buried in common ground

Chris

• 8 years later...

326604 Pte William MacIntosh was finally remembered a few years ago in the cemetery where he was buried, albeit not where he actually lies in section 21. He was buried in a paupers mass grave 3 days after his death with no funeral or military honours.

I fought for him to be remembered and a stone was finally erected in a line of 11 war graves.

There's more to the story than what meets the eye. There was a secret that Alice had and the truth had come out that day which tipped Wullie over the edge.

OK Wullie had gone AWOL after his official leave because he was suffering from shellshock/PTSD amongst other things. He had already been wounded and was given a pass to go home to his wife Alice of 5 months.

When the police came round to their tenement flat in Sydney Street he was never there as the family were hiding him because of his mental state as he was scared senseless and really couldn't take any more.

On the 26th of March 1917 he and Alice had an argument in the drying green.

She went upstairs and he followed her, he had been drinking, the row continued and shortly afterwards she made it into a neighbours flat who bandaged her neck wound and sent her husband for the police.  Alice then went back home and when the police arrived she had died and Wullie had slit his on throat and died moments later.

He was dumped in a hole in the paupers mass grave in section 21, Eastern Necropolis, Glasgow with no one but the grave diggers and police, who were sent to arrest him, in attendance and didn't receive a proper funeral and certainly no full military honours.

Wullie was marked a few years ago by CWGC here because they said he can't be marked where he lies because 3 other civilians were put on top of him.

I am not condoning what he did, I am understanding his mental state and what finally tipped him over the edge.

He was a steelman who worked across the road in the then Forge Foundry, and was sent to an unknown hell to fight for his country.

I look after his grave and tend him every year on his anniversary and if anyone thinks I am wrong to care about him well sorry, I look after many with similar stories shafted by war and forgotten by authorities because someone has to care and understand.

I have enclosed a picture of his kidon grave if anyone does want to remember him there that would be lovely. Please respect my wishes as I don't want to go public with his actual resting place. Chris Harley the council do know his exact resting place but were asked not to make it public.

For years East. Necrop was vandalised including war graves thankfully restored.

PS. I am named after a fishing boat meaning a beautiful golden dawn and not a foreign Nazi party.

IMG_20170326_183302.jpg

Edited by Guest

Going back now all of the information I can find is that all they would tell me was that he was buried in common ground. Sorry I can give you better info.

• 2 years later...

Headstone photo for Pte Alfred Ellison McDowell has been posted in this separate topic: