Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Possibly Northamptonshire Regiment?

SueJS

Hi everyone

I am researching another leg of the family and have found this photograph of two soldiers. I have no information on them apart from they probably came from the Northamptonshire area.

There was a grandfather and great uncle in the Northamptonshire Regiment that Stebie9173 gave me so much information on in this post. Researching Northamptonshire Regiment Men

It's also possible there is a connection with a great uncle from the other side of the family who was in the 2nd Bn. Bedfordshire Rgt.

Any info gratefully received.

Sue

post-20424-1260882232.jpg

The shorter man on the left as we look is almost certainly a Northamptonshire Regiment man (99% certain). The man on the right has no badge so we can't tell. Bearing in mind the stiff caps, boots, pleated pockets, "just out of the stores" crumples on the uniform and "not yet under military law" fob watch chains showing in the pocket I would suspect that they are enlistment photos. The bandoliers point to a transport section role.

Steve.

Hi everyone

I am researching another leg of the family and have found this photograph of two soldiers. I have no information on them apart from they probably came from the Northamptonshire area.

There was a grandfather and great uncle in the Northamptonshire Regiment that Stebie9173 gave me so much information on in this post. Researching Northamptonshire Regiment Men

It's also possible there is a connection with a great uncle from the other side of the family who was in the 2nd Bn. Bedfordshire Rgt.

Any info gratefully received.

Sue

Are ther Imperial service badges on their left jacket pockets?

Jon

I think the metal bars are the bars at the end of the chains of fob watches. The Imperial Service Badge should have been worn on the other side and usually looks thicker, and has a crown part to it.

Steve.

Thanks all for your expert help once again. It's a shame the cap badge isn't a little clearer in the photo but looks similar.

Steve, is it unlikely to be the Shawley brothers as they were in different battalions and enlisted at different times? I guess it could be one of them and the second soldier a friend. Will continue researching and see what comes up.

Thanks again, brilliant!

Sue

"The bandoliers point to a transport section role."

Hi Steve,

The '03 waistbelts and lack of breeches and mounted puttees suggest that they are not Transport men. My guess would be second or third line Territorial Force men (if there were any in the Northants) or Kitchener volunteers. The lack of a cap badge also suggests freshly issued kit to Kitchener or TF recruits. The '03 Bandolier worn with a waistbelt is the obsolete 1903 Infantry equipment which would be very likely to have been issued to Kitchener men or second or third line Territorials...

Cheers.

Taff

Thanks, Taff.

I hadn't considered that.

Steve.