Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with medal ribbons and Overseas Chevrons

kidneybean

post-46822-1260809787.jpg I have been unsuccessful in finding any burnt records for this relative of my father. His name was Herbert Wilson, born Feb 1898, Crowland, enlisted underage sometime 1915 as a Driver of Horses ASC. ,survived war. Can I learn more from his Medal ribbons,Does he have 1914/15 star and are there three overseas Blue chevrons on right sleeve?Can anyone come up with suitable MIC? I have checked many but can't be certain .

I'm sure someone will be able to help but I'm struggling to make out the detail at that size of photo. Any chance you can post closeups of the chevrons, medal ribbons and shoulder title?

Regards

Steve

I'm struggling to make out the detail at that size of photo.

I am also! Judging by the patterns though of the ribbons themselves, I would say they are: 1914/15 Star, War Medal, Victory Medal. As to the overseas chevrons... it looks to be four blue!

Seph

QUOTE (freeform @ Dec 14 2009, 05:08 PM)

I have been unsuccessful in finding any burnt records for this relative of my father. His name was Herbert Wilson, born Feb 1898, Crowland, enlisted underage sometime 1915 as a Driver of Horses ASC. ,survived war. Can I learn more from his Medal ribbons,Does he have 1914/15 star and are there three overseas Blue chevrons on right sleeve?Can anyone come up with suitable MIC? I have checked many but can't be certain .

post-46822-1260821597.jpgHope this is more useful

He only has the ribband bars up for the British War Medal and Victory Medal (not the 1914/15 Star). He does have three blue Overseas Service Chevrons.

Does he have 1914/15 star and are there three overseas Blue chevrons on right sleeve?

He doesn't appear to have a Star, only the pair and there are three blue overseas chevrons. Is there another chance of a close up (sorry :blush: ) of the shoulder title as it doesn't look like ASC to me.

Regards

Steve

post-46822-1260889162.jpg

Steve hope this helps any larger is too distorted. Previous post of an earlier picture taken in Lewisham suggests ASC. Men from the same area were horse drivers for RA,RE>Signals and ASC, Three Chevs and 2 medals seem right since he wasn't 18yrs until early 1916

Sorry but it's still not clear, I'm not convinced it's ASC as it looks like a two letter shoulder title to me, possibly RA? It's not my area of interest but when did they start using RA shoulder titles instead of RFA, RGA etc? With Grumpy's late 1919 dating and the possibility of RA shoulder titles I'm wondering if there's the possibility that he may have continued to serve post 1921 and his records may still be with the MOD?

Steve

He is, of course, wearing spurs and puttees tied at the ankle - indicative of mounted soldiers, but equally applicable to ASC and RFA/RA.

Peter

post-46822-1260961277.jpg Steve et alia this was a photo taken earlier showing a cap badge but not of Artillery outline (High street Lewisham ,photographer),long way from home, outside guess maybe at Woolwich for initial training? Any more thoughts about this.

Will try to get better enlargement of cap badge.

Regards freeform

post-46822-1260961277.jpg Steve et alia this was a photo taken earlier showing a cap badge but not of Artillery outline (High street Lewisham ,photographer),long way from home, outside guess maybe at Woolwich for initial training? Any more thoughts about this.

Will try to get better enlargement of cap badge.

Regards freeform

Agree with Steve. Clearly a horseman by the whip and the shoulder brasses look a two letter configuration.

Peridot

The photograph is not before late 1919 if the ID of the ribbons is correct.

Whilst I hesitate to disagree with anyone called Grumpy, is this right? Have a pic of my grandfather showing three overseas stripes and am reliably informed that he came out of the army in early 1919, having entered in 1916. On the basis of this calculation and having ended the War with four overseas stripes this would have meant being in the army till 1920 which I know he was not. Not trying to be clever but can someone enlighten me.

Thanks

Peridot

Peridot

The crucial aid to dating in this case is the medal ribbons, not Overseas Service Chevrons. The British War and Victory Medals were not authorised until 1919, so for a man to be wearing those ribbons the photo has to date after their distribution.

Agree with Steve. Clearly a horseman by the whip and the shoulder brasses look a two letter configuration.

Horsemen included drivers: ASC RA & RE.

I'm sorry but I'm struggling with the small photos. I do however wonder, if it's the same man, whether he initially enlisted in the ASC, was attached to the Artillery (as a large number of ASC men were) and was then subsequently transferred to the Artillery. The soldier on the first photo of this thread still looks to be wearing a two letter shoulder title to me.

I can't see a MIC that fits the scenario of overseas service with both units so I'm guessing you could be looking for either ASC or one of the Artillery units on the MIC. Doesn't really help at all, sorry.

Steve

As the initial photo is taken post WWI and shows that he had already qualified for his BWM & VM, the unit he was in by that time may not be reflected on the MICs.

I'm sorry but I'm struggling with the small photos. I do however wonder, if it's the same man, whether he initially enlisted in the ASC, was attached to the Artillery (as a large number of ASC men were) and was then subsequently transferred to the Artillery. The soldier on the first photo of this thread still looks to be wearing a two letter shoulder title to me.

I can't see a MIC that fits the scenario of overseas service with both units so I'm guessing you could be looking for either ASC or one of the Artillery units on the MIC. Doesn't really help at all, sorry.

Steve

Hi Steve I am sure it is same man since both photos came from his surviving family and were framed by his wife, I have some evidence that both East Anglian signals RE, and Royal Artillery recruited horse drivers fairly heavily in his home town. I agree shouldrt tag does look like two letters but cap badge not artillery.

Given that he was believed to have enlisted before 18th birthday( Feb1916), is wearing 3 chevrons on right sleeve and only victory and war medal ribbons dated late 1919. Could any expert have a try at dating when he would have been first sent overseas.

Thanks for all help given to date ,regards freeform