Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform Help

jake

Hi Everyone,

I have been told by relatives that this is my Grandmothers brother Arthur W Bishop.

He was in the 4th & 5th Dragoon Guards. I can't see any badges and was wondering if this

was the type of uniform they may have worn.

Thanks

Jake

post-51503-1260749719.jpg

Jake,

I have found an MIC for the above named, served in the 5th Dragoon Guards. He was entitled to the 1914 Star, with bar, BWM and Victory Medal. Arthur entered France on 15 August 1914. He was also promoted to the rank of Corporal.

I know it was not totally out of the question, but my thoughts are the shorts. According to the Long, Long Trail, the unit only served in France. Not saying they didn't wear shorts in the Summer months.

Could it be a post war photo, or are there any badges on the other solder in the photo?

Cheers Andy.

Thank you for your comments and information Andy,

On his service record it has fractured leg in action on 08/08/1918.

I think you might be right about post war. Maybe the cane in his hand is for a little support.

Can't see any badges on the other men.

Thanks

Jake

post-51503-1260763360.jpg

Thank you for your comments and information Andy,

On his service record it has fractured leg in action on 08/08/1918.

I think you might be right about post war. Maybe the cane in his hand is for a little support.

Can't see any badges on the other men.

Thanks

Jake

Couple of observations: a bit contradictory actually.

He has a wound stripe on his left forearm - I can never remember when these were instituted but IIRC it was later in the war, if youhave his service record is there an additional wound or just the leg injury? .

Contrary to the late war indicators he is wearing a Pattern 14 leather equipment waistbelt (whilst his colleagues are wearing P'08 web) - if it was post war I would not expect to see this.

Is there anything on the back of the card to indicate where/when it was taken - is it a postcard back? if so is it English or French? Is there a photgrapher's mark (stamped or pre printed? this could offer a clue.

Chris

Thank you for your reply Chris,

I had a look at the photo looks like a postcard but no writing at all.

It doesn't mention any other wounds on his service record.

Thanks again

Jake

Did cavalry men (need to) wear bayonets ??

Which is what your great uncle seems to have though the seated man at least doesn't seem to have one.

He has a wound stripe on his left forearm - I can never remember when these were instituted but IIRC it was later in the war, if youhave his service record is there an additional wound or just the leg injury? .

August 1916 ;)

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...=wounded+stripe

I can't see that there is anything to suggest post-war in this photo. Shorts were worn on the Western Front from time to time, albeit unofficially, perhaps; but your man appears to be wearing Khaki Drill shorts, which would be a little unusual. I would hazard a guess that this is in the Mediterranean theatre, Salonika, or perhaps even Italy. If cavalrymen - would they have worn shorts in any case? I suppose if they were dismounted; certainly the way their puttees are tied does not support the notion of cavalry (who wore theirs with the tapes at the ankle). With regard to bayonets, the wearing of belt (certainly 1914 pattern - and I would not have thought that its use would have been abandoned until well into peacetime) and bayonet, as far as I understand (don't quote me on this), was worn by soldiers acting as regimental police - but also worn by soldiers on Church Parade. Other experts will help here, I'm sure.

Cheers

Peter