Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zij Vielen uit de Hemel : 1914 -1918

patrick anderson

A recently published book by EDDY LAMBRECHT called " 1914-1918 - Zij vielen uit de hamel " Aspecten Van De Luchtoorlog in West-Vlaanderen .

Groeninghe . Kortrijk , 2008

2008 Uitgeverij Groeninghe Belfaststraat 12 B 8500 KORTIJK

ISBN 978 - 90 - 77723 - 00 - 5

D/2008/ 0222/06

This latest book of his relates only to the Airmen of the Great War and in the Final Chapter he has stories and further photographs relating to

LIEUTENANT PATRICK W ANDERSON, BLACK WATCH , RFC & RAF who was born ARBROATH , FORFARSHIRE , Scotland and was commissioned from the St Andrews University O TC on 1 September 1914 into the 8th (Service )Bn Black Watch then appointed Lieutenant in the 10th (Service) Bn Black Watch serving in France and Salonika before serving with 18 Sqn RFC and RAF flying as Observer in DH4's . Seriously wounded on 27 June 1918 when flying with Canadian pilot Lt R.C Bennet (later DFC) . He got Lt Anderson back to their lines and medical attention in the CCS and hospital treatment for the many months ahead but he died of his wounds at Arbroath on 2 November 1921 . He is not listed as a War Casualty by the CWGC as he died of his wounds after 31 August 1921 . He is listed on the Scottish National War Memorial at the Edinburgh Castle - RAF Roll of Honour Great War . The pages show a photograph of his headstone at the Western Cemetery Arbroath that reads

PATRICK WRIGHT ANDERSON , Lieutenant Black Watch , RFC RAF , Died of Wounds 2nd Nov 1921 aged 29 .

This book is on sale but its only available at present in Flemish

I found this entry on the CROSS & COCKADE INTERNATIONAL - The First World War Aviation Historical Society :

Spring 2009 : Volume 40 /1 Bookshelf pages :

Zij Vielen Uit De Hemel: Uitgeverij Groeninghe, Belfaststraat 12 , B 8500

Kortrijk

175 pp , 176 x 252 mm , hardback

ISBN 978 - 90 -77723-00-5

UK CCI members can order copies at 35 Euros , including postage , from edlambrecht@skynet.be

This title of this delightful book translates , from the Flemish , as THEY FALL FROM THE SKY. As with his previous book, Eddy covers aspects of the First War in the air over Flanders , using themed chapters on subjects such as the Zeebrugge seaplane station , air fights over Houthulst Forest and Jasta 17 at Gistel . There is a good balance between Allied and German subjects.

Few will be conversant in Flemish but that should not be a deterrant to acquiring this book which is stuffed with an amazing amount of quality photographs that have been reproduced to the highest standard . One or two were familiar to me , but the others were new . Many of the Allied subjects are shown as they fell, with many being crashed . The shots include personnel and a selection of war graves . I was interested to see P . W . ANDERSON given coverage in the appendix : his story was told in our journal . That of 2nd Lt N Sharples , of 7 Sqn , has not , but his story receives a chapter of coverage by Eddy.

Current exchange rate may not be favourable but this is too good a book to miss.

signed MD

CROSS & COCKADE INTERNATIONAL - first war aviation historical society has a website that publish Quarterly highly professional journals .

patrick w anderson

• 1 year later...

I am wondering if the author of this book will be having the book published in English as it is only available in Flemish ?

Friends of mine were asking me if they knew if the book would be published in English as they were hoping to find it on sale when they were in Belgium this month or when they go back to do futher war graves visits in Belgium and France ?????