Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

In From the Cold Project

John_Hartley

Today, we've reached a major milestone in our efforts. The last batch of "other ranks" names has now been issued to a volunteer. When everyone's current batch is returned it will mean we will have checked around 400,000 names. It's a fantastic achievement and one that, in truth, I doubted we might ever reach when Terry & I first started talking about this crazy idea.

So, now it's on to the officers and the navy. Plenty to keep us busy for a while longer.

John

Today, we've reached a major milestone in our efforts.

Congratulations to everyone involved in this project - a truly marvellous effort,

Dave Swarbrick

The dedication and effort behind all this can only be admired. Well done everyone.

Well done Terry, John & rest of the team.

Unlike many milestones and achievements this is really one to be very very proud of...well done all the team.

Regards

Arm

Great achievement and the fruits of the effort evidenced by the now almost daily notifications supplied here by Terry and noted on the ITCP website.Fantastic effort.

Hywyn

Why do I feel cynical?

Commonwealth War Grave funding is attributed, in proportion to each Nation's losses.

The UK Government is trying to claw back an overspend,whilst I recognise there is fat that can,and should be cut.

Will it ever try and trim its funding to the CWGC,or increase it,in proportion to the now recognised casualties,of War?

I will never question the right of a man to be recognised,as a casualty,and applaud the Project for its success.

George

You have my most sincere respect and admiration for the efforts you have all put in to this most worthy project.

Well done to all involved.

Regards

John

Congratulations to all concerned for the dedication and effort to reach this major milestone.

Cheers, Terry

• 2 weeks later...

The Project is now definitely on the home straight. We've been whizzing along during the month and have checks on all the officer pages in GRO underway. A start has been made on the naval lists.

Members will know that our funding from the Veterans Agency only permits us to search for in-service deaths and, in a few weeks, we will have completed everything that we intended, with cross-checks on:

The GRO Overseas deaths list

Officers died in the Great War

Airmen Died in the Great War

Soldiers Died in the Great War (home deaths)

Chris Harley is also continuing with his valuable work searching the obituary columns of The Times for home deaths (mainly officers). We've also been involved to lesser or greater degress with work to identify uncommemorated men who served with ANZAC or South African forces.

However, I'm sure I speak for all volunteers when I say we would wish to leave no stone unturned if it is practical to turn it. So, we'd welcome suggestions if there is anywhere else that we might usefully search for names still missing. The gap, such as it is, is almost certain to be in-service deaths at home - finding the names and documnetary evidence of death is the problem.

However, I'm sure I speak for all volunteers when I say we would wish to leave no stone unturned if it is practical to turn it. So, we'd welcome suggestions if there is anywhere else that we might usefully search for names still missing. The gap, such as it is, is almost certain to be in-service deaths at home - finding the names and documnetary evidence of death is the problem.

Steady on that man. I have booked a year off in - err - anywhere really :w00t:

After doing a page of matelots, they seem easier to check than the army (famous last words).

You may get home on 24th and find that your volunteers have finished, had the leaving party, changed email addresses and vanished :D

Have been cross checking Canadian Merchant Seamen from both conflicts - some interesting results