Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2 Houghton Brothers R.N and R.N Division.

izzy

I have found an IN Rememberance aricle relating to 2 brothers who died while serving in the Navy. It mentions an address in the locality that im researching but as they are not mentioned on the War Memorial i assume the Family moved there after the war. Can anyone shed any further information on the 2 Servicemen. There known details are as follows.

A/B Seaman George Houghton 223670 H.M.S Hampshire died 05/06/1916 commemorated Portsmouth Naval Memorial.

Thomas Houghton Mersey Z/245 Hood Bn R.N Division died 05/05/1915 commemorated Helles Memorial.

The article mentions Never forgotten by Father, Brother ,Sister and Sister -in-Law Church Road Halewood.

Any further information would be welcome as apart from the article and the C.W.G.C i have no further information.

The Jack Clegg RND Roll of Honour gives the following addresses for Thomas Houghton:--

" ... the son of Thomas Houghton, of 37 Kent Road, Birkdale, Southport, Lancashire (later of Oldfield Cottage, Aigburth Hall Road, Aigburth, Liverpool, Lancs.). In civil life he was employed as a Steward and lived at 5 Hartington Terrace, Garston, near Liverpool."

He is mentioned in "Gallipoli as I saw it " by Joseph Murray. The two men were friends.

He was killed in the 2nd Battle of Krithia, 6 May 1915 (the CWGC date is, incorrectly, 5 May).

Re the Hood Battalion; It is interesting that the date of death is given as the 5th May because there is an account by Joe Murray of the death of one of his mates named Houghton, only Joe puts it as happening on the 6th! I have checked the Naval History Net and can find no Houghton from the Hoods who died on the 6th – So, is this the same man?

Just to confuse matters further, the edition of Murray's book which I have gives the name as Horton; but I can find no Horton died with the Hood on 6th May either. The Hood history written by Len Sellers gives the spelling as Houghton.

edit: H2 seems to have confirmed that this is in fact the same chap

The advance up Achi Baba Nullah began at 11.00 on 6th May (Second Krithia). Murray and his companions had reached the open ground beyond the Brown House and the White House taking up position on a small ridge. In their next move they must have been spotted by a Turkish machine gunner.

"After a little while I heard a man called Townsend calling to me, and without raising my head I crawled up towards him. Houghton and Yates were somewhere behind, and crawled up later. There was no one else moving. We were the only ones to get through the opening. We decided that there appeared to be better cover in the thicker scrub about 10 yards ahead of us. We ran forward and, as we reached it, Yates was hit in the abdomen. He bent to his knees, rolled over, and then got to his feet again, turning round and round. He rushed forward, but fell groaning after a few yards.

The three of us crawled forward towards him. Houghton reached him first, but while trying to comfort him he was shot through the head. The same bullet, spent through it was, took a piece out of my knuckle. Poor Houghton died crying for his mother. He said he was 17, but if he was 16 he would be lucky. Totally unsuited for this rough life, he never once complained. Always willing and eager to help, he himself was now beyond help. There was nothing Townsend or I could do for him or Yates."

Joe Murray, but from the version in Len Sellers' book The Hood Battalion.

EDIT II;

for the record I am working here from the Cerberus 2004 edition of Joe's book

a couple of differences to note

- Yates was wounded below the abdomen

- and regarding Houghton's age and civil employment Joe gives "he always maintained he was eighteen but he certainly didn't look more than sixteen at the very most. He was a great fellow; in civil life he was a steward on a banana boat."

Edited by michaeldr

Charles YATES survived, despite Joe's conviction that he was killed.

Thanks for the replies some very intresting information to digest. I have a Southport roll of Honour book upstairs and will check it out later [just in case]. Aigburth and Garston are only a couple of miles away so i will check out local memorials. Dates of birth will give me something to go on. The book references are excellent as they actually mention how Thomas died . A big thank you to all who have answered regards Izzy.

Just checked the Southport Roll of Honour Book and the 2 brothers are not mentioned. However Thomas has an obituary in the local press his abode is given as Garston and Halebank.The 2 brothers also get a mention on the ST Michaels War memorial Garston.

Izzy,

For the record the details of the two books I have quoted from are

'The Hood Battalion' by Leonard Sellers, pub. by Leo Cooper, 1995, ISBN 0 95053 386 9

'Gallipoli 1915' by Joseph Murray, pub. by Cerberus, 2004, ISBN 1 84145 047 2 [first pub. by William Kimber & Co. Ltd, 1965]

regards

Michael

• 9 months later...

Hi, I realise that ths is quite an old post but I found this whist researching my family history.

George and Thomas Houghton are my great, great uncles!!

Despite the reports Tom was actually 22 when he died and there was also a third brother who survived the war (my great grandfather), Arthur, who served onboard HMS Bristol.

Hello Lou and welcome to the forum. As the originator of the question do you have any further information on the Houghton brothers ? There is a family who lived in Halewood called Houghton who had 2 brothers served in the Great War who sadly died in W W 2 any relation to your family ?

Hi, at the moment I dont have any further information on my uncles although I am trying to find out more.

It does seem quite a coincidence that there is a George and William Houghton from Halewood - George is a recurring name in the family.

I have tried to find records for these two Houghtons and have spoken to my great uncle but it doesn't seem that these two men are any relation, unfortunately.

• 13 years later...

Hi, new to the forum and this looks to be quite an old post but Houghton brothers are related to me, my great grandmothers brothers I believe. If I can help further let me know. Keen to learn a little more about the brothers. 

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. The original poster, izzy has died. @laura_512 hasn’t visited the forum for many years. My tag might alert them to your post.