Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform ID

crayolakid

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help identify the uniform on a relative of mine. Hopefully by identifying the uniform I can finally put a name to the face.

Thanks

James

post-40230-1260632373.jpg

I'll start the ball rolling with a stab at Hertfordshire Regiment. He looks like he got one that fitted where it touched.

I am unable to identify the cap badge or the shoulder title but he is a Drummer.

He has the drum badge on his upper left sleeve and probably has it on the right also.

He is wearing bugle cords on his left shoulder and they are not those of a Royal Regiment so were probably dark green which would suggest a line infantry regiment.

He is also wearing a very fancy watch fob which was unofficial and may have been worn for the photograph.

I'll start the ball rolling with a stab at Hertfordshire Regiment. He looks like he got one that fitted where it touched.

Had another squint and, as Stephen says, the Hertfordshire Regiment is a possibility. The photograph was taken in Bishop's Stortford which may also be a clue.

While his Service Dress is a little on the loose side, it is well worn and he looks at ease with wearing it; nicely wound puttees as well. Certainly no stranger to the uniform IMHO.

Crayola'

Real long shot, I would confirm that it is the Hertfordshire Regt. which was a Territorial Army Regiment. He is a 'Cadet' and wears a drummers arm badge. It is a remote chance that he is the member of a School Cadet Corps, possibly a residential school. Haileybury is near Bishops Stortford and would have a 'Cadet Corps.'

Tony P

The cap badge is certainly Hertfordshire Regiment. I agree that it's a Cadet shoulder title. But didn't Haileybury have their own cap badge?

The cap badge is certainly Hertfordshire Regiment. I agree that it's a Cadet shoulder title. But didn't Haileybury have their own cap badge?

Mrs old-ted has found the archivist at Haileybury very helpful in the past. They can be contacted via their web site Haileybury

Regards

John

Mrs old-ted has found the archivist at Haileybury very helpful in the past. They can be contacted via their web site Haileybury

Regards

John