Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2Bn Highland Light Infantry

raver

A relative of mine was killed on 13 May 1915. He was, William Hamilton no. 9538, a Lance Corporal in the 2nd Bn, Highland Light Infantry.

Can anybody tell me where they were on the 13th May 1915?

Regards

Dave

Dave

Your subject was killed in action alongside six other of his battalion,all are remembered on the LE TOURET Memorial as they have no known grave,so there are no substantial clues to be had from the War Graves site, CWGC. The area of conflict from where these LE TOURET casualties are drawn is quite a large one. The 2nd Division (his Bn was part of 5 Brigade of that Div) were involved in the Battle of Festubert from the 15th May,for which there was a prior four day artillery bombardment,with retaliation, so he would probably have been a casualty there.The precise answer for you will be in the Battalion War Diary,at Kew under WO95/1347 which covers the Battalion's activity from Aug 1914 through to 1919.

Sotonmate

Dave

The Battle of Aubers Ridge began on 9th May and developed into the Battle of Festubert which ran until 25th May.

I can see eight 2Bn fatalities on 13th May, six of which are listed on Le Touret Memorial and two of which are buried at Bethune Town Cemetery. Bethune Town Cemetery is 9 miles south west of Aubers Ridge and four miles west of Festubert.

The 2nd Bn war diary is available at this link. You'll find it at foot of page.

http://rhf.org.uk/rhf/index.php?option=com...0&Itemid=96

If you PM your e-mail I can send you Lt Col Oatts History of the HLI which explains in some detail the month of May 1915. It is also avaiable at above link however. Small sub required.

David

• 14 years later...
On 12/12/2009 at 13:32, raver said:

A relative of mine was killed on 13 May 1915. He was, William Hamilton no. 9538, a Lance Corporal in the 2nd Bn, Highland Light Infantry.

Can anybody tell me where they were on the 13th May 1915?

Regards

Dave

Hi Dave. William Hamilton (9538) was my grandfather.

I have some information here. What relation is he to him?

All the best.

Alastair Hamilton.

Scan_20211204.jpg

Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 22.25.48.png

Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 22.28.31.png

Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 22.35.34.png

Lance Corporal William Hamilton - CWGC Certificate.jpg

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. @raver hasn’t visited the forum for 10 years. My tag might alert them to your post, assuming they’re still using the same email address. 

Thanks Michelle. It would be interesting to find out more form Dave, he must be a relative.

Alastair.

I'm attaching my transcription of the 2nd Bn HLI War Diary for 13 May 1915, which shows the location of the Battalion on that date.

I've also included the CWGC list of 'deaths' that day (WD says 7; CWGC says 8).

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

2nd Bn HLI - War Diary - 1915 05_Page_06.jpg

2nd Bn HLI - War Diary - 1915 05_Page_13.jpg

2nd Bn HLI - War Diary - 1915 05_Page_14.jpg

20 minutes ago, Tom Lang said:

I'm attaching my transcription of the 2nd Bn HLI War Diary for 13 May 1915, which shows the location of the Battalion on that date.

I've also included the CWGC list of 'deaths' that day (WD says 7; CWGC says 8).

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

2nd Bn HLI - War Diary - 1915 05_Page_06.jpg

2nd Bn HLI - War Diary - 1915 05_Page_13.jpg

2nd Bn HLI - War Diary - 1915 05_Page_14.jpg

That's great, thanks Tom.

I've learnt more about my grandfather in one day than in the 109 years since he died.

Thanks.

Alastair.