Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Beaucourt Redoubt

Simmo

Dear All,

Could anyone tell me anything about the two threads (above) I am trying to join together?

My great uncle Gunner Frank Ledger was killed on 14 Nov 1916 serving with the above unit and buried at Forceville, west of Albert. I knew this date was of significance during the Battle of the Ancre, and the limited research I have done suggests the RFA unit took part in an assault as an infantry unit. Was this unusual? Is it likely this is where he was killed?

Any information would be gratefully received.

Very unlikely RFA personnel were being used in an infantry role; more likely his unit was laying down fire support for an attack, with men from the unit going into action with the infantry for better infantry-artillery co-operation; this was more common in the later stages of the Battle of the Somme.

Dear Paul,

Thanks for the reply. I read in the 'Battleground Europe' series concerning Beaumont Hamel, that the Honourable Artillery Company were involved in the assault on the 14th November and concluded that in all probability, this was when my great uncle was fatally wounded.

It seems I can be fairly confident he would have been an artillery observer sent over the top to keep up with the attack.

Thanks for clearing things up.

Simon.

I believe the 1/1st Bn HAC (190 Bde, 63rd Royal Naval Division) were an Infantry Battalion and had nothing to do with the Royal Field Artillery.

I see that Gunner Frank Ledger served in 49th Battery of the 40th Brigade Royal Field Artillery, which served in the British 3rd Division. During the battle of the Ancre 13 -19 November, 1916, the 3rd Division front faced Serre.

More likely your great uncle was killed by German counter-battery fire. His Artillery unit will have a War Diary at the National Archives at Kew.

Terry

• 17 years later...

Hi I am trying to trace the last days of my Dads Uncle William John (Jack) Peake who was awarded the Military Medal 26/27 June 1916 Near the “Sunken Road” and within a few days he was killed in action 01/07/1916 approximately 20m away German lines 

he was attached to the 13th Bat Royal Irish Rifles 108th Brigade of the 36th (Ulster) Division

I have a trip booked early September 2022 and as my Father is now 89 and unable to travel this is my last chance to show My Dad via video the area where his Uncle died 

any help would be appreciated 

thank you

51 minutes ago, allistairg1964 said:

any help would be appreciated 

You can download the battalion's war diary for free (if you register - also free) from the National Archives:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7354037

or, if you subscribe to Ancestry, the war diary for July begins at https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/731167:60779?_phsrc=ZCm61&_phstart=successSource&ml_rpos=2&queryId=624c418dd1a45d1c1ae850da35b2de83

(June will be on the preceding pages)

According to the diary your ancestor was in B Company and is listed as "missing" in the casualty return. (page 512 of the Ancestry piece. - 4th name down)

8 hours ago, allistairg1964 said:

Thank you

Spend the early evening at the back of the Ancre Cemetery when you are there Al, good place to reflect!, I will be there in May all being well,Ian.

1 hour ago, EAST YORKSHIRE said:

at the back of the Ancre Cemetery

Looking over the cemetery and the Ancre valley where your relative would have fought and died.  In the distance, the trees adjacent to the Ulster Tower and the skyline which was the Schwaben Redoubt.

DSC02590.JPG

I think this is one of John's ( @Frajohn  ) or one of Michelle's ( @Michelle Young  ) looking back the other way from the top of the hill, with the Newfoundland Park trees on the horizon. Apologies if it's not one of yours chums. I failed to note the source, skoolboy error.

Pete.

1892924710_HamelMilitary.jpg.02fbe1e0a65d35ea9379ed26a7b0d82f.jpg

• Admin

Not mine guv 

12 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Not mine guv 

So not a fair cop and we haven't got you bang to rights, fair dos (other music 'all Cockneyisms are available.......). I've got a full panorama from Mill Road which I'll try to find.

Pete.

2 hours ago, Don Regiano said:

Looking over the cemetery and the Ancre valley where your relative would have fought and died.  In the distance, the trees adjacent to the Ulster Tower and the skyline which was the Schwaben Redoubt.

DSC02590.JPG

Spot on Don, thanks for adding photo ans info,Ian.

Pete

You are correct, twas I. Taken 30th May 2011.

Below is a panorama taken at the same time.

Kind regards

John

ancrepanorama.jpg.403c2d265b5fcff05088d4310b9741cb.jpg

2 hours ago, EAST YORKSHIRE said:

I am filled with emotion thinking about my trip but looking forward to it too I will be staying in Albert 

as a member of the Royal British Legion I am taking a poppy Wreath to lay 

as I write this I am listening to the podcast “walking the Somme”

so sad 

lest we forget 

18 hours ago, allistairg1964 said:

I am filled with emotion thinking about my trip but looking forward to it too I will be staying in Albert 

as a member of the Royal British Legion I am taking a poppy Wreath to lay 

as I write this I am listening to the podcast “walking the Somme”

so sad 

lest we forget 

Get yourself in the new eatery opposite the Bassilica, Le Bistro, nice meals and view.

29 minutes ago, EAST YORKSHIRE said:

Get yourself in the new eatery opposite the Bassilica, Le Bistro, nice meals and view.

Thank you

On 08/03/2022 at 19:52, EAST YORKSHIRE said:

On 07/03/2022 at 23:25, Don Regiano said:

You can download the battalion's war diary for free (if you register - also free) from the National Archives:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7354037

or, if you subscribe to Ancestry, the war diary for July begins at https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/731167:60779?_phsrc=ZCm61&_phstart=successSource&ml_rpos=2&queryId=624c418dd1a45d1c1ae850da35b2de83

(June will be on the preceding pages)

According to the diary your ancestor was in B Company and is listed as "missing" in the casualty return. (page 512 of the Ancestry piece. - 4th name down)

Hi I read the war diary I can’t find any mention of him being awarded his military medal 

“Corporal William John Peake had been awarded the Military Medal for his excellent conduct on 26/27 June 1916 when he commanded a blocking party in the German trench and searched several dugouts getting two prisoners.  When he returned to the Sunken Road he displayed great coolness under shell fire and led his party back successfully to the British lines.”

taken from another website 

thank you