Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Raider "Seeadler"

Peter Beckett

Thanks Peter. I knew about the incident already and have got names of most of those involved. It is interesting that it was reported in the Times because it was not reported in the Fiji Times because of censorship, although I'm sure it was known about in Fiji.

The Seeadler was the only sailing ship to be used as an armed merchant raider. She was wrecked on Mopelia Atoll in French Polynesia, then the Captain, Count von Luckner and several men sailed one of the ship's lifeboats to Fiji, 3,770 km away, where they were captured and deported to NZ.

Eventually they captured the motorboat belonging to the Commandant of the Prison camp, an island, where they were held, took off to sea, captured a small scow with the aid of a fake machine gun, and sailed off to the Kermadec islands north of NZ, where they were recaptured.

Although he was an enemy, people in NZ liked von Luckner, and respected him as a sailor. He appears never to have killed anyone, although taking many prisoners in his cruising around the Pacific.

Count von Luckner and Lt Kirchiess on Motuihe Island, Auckland NZ

post-5-1083875721.jpg

route of the Seeadler and her lifeboat

post-5-1083875819.jpg

Christine,

I am glad I found that article as it fascinating reading. I did a further search in the Times and found 4 articles regarding the Seeadler including the escape. Here is a direct link to the 4 articles.

http://web5.infotrac.galegroup.com/itw/inf...w_aep=free4_tda

Peter ;)

PS I have found it better to download the entire page and save it named as a reference ie 9oct17 p8 Polygon wood

Seeadler under full sail

post-5-1083960129.jpg

Could any German speaker give me the correct word for the rank , probably equivalent to lieutenant, which is abbreviated as Lt.?

I've seen it spelt about 3 ways, and don't know what the correct form is.

Christine,

The abbreviation Lt. stands for Leutnant.

/David

Thanks David

The correct full German naval term for the abbrevation Lt. is 'Leutnant zur See'

Dave

Lt. is the correct abbreviation for the German rank of Leutnant.

The correct abbreviation for the full German naval term Leutnant zur See is LtzS.

Hair-splittingly yours,

David

Yes I probably should have explained better, I was only thinking of the naval rank as it was a in Seeadler thread. All naval 'Leutnants' are 'Leutnant zur See', a lot of German officer lists I have use LzS as an abbreviation.

Dave