Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench Maps, where to find (Vimy in particular)

kissack

My great uncle died in WWI and to add to my research I would like to see/get/download a trench map of the area he died. He served with the RCR at Vimy ridge and died 20/1/17. The online war diaries refer to many map references and codewords and it would be good to place them on a map for a visit.

Is this sort of info' available on line?

--

Allan

http://www.kissack.co.uk/content/view/3/28/

Hi Allan,

if you just require a copy try G.H. Smiths web site, not sure if Vimy is listed there but he sells copies, might be of use as original trench maps sell or a lot of money nowadays.

Andy

My great uncle died in WWI and to add to my research I would like to see/get/download a trench map of the area he died.  He served with the RCR at Vimy ridge and died 20/1/17.  The online war diaries refer to many map references and codewords and it would be good to place them on a map for a visit.

Is this sort of info' available on line?

Actually, you can get reasonably adequate maps from the war diaries site. Usually you have to go up the command chain a bit. In your case, the RCR (Royal Canadian Regiment) diary may not have maps, but the 7th Infantry Brigade usually does. For the Vimy area, you can find maps with the Brigade (and higher level commands) diaries for the April 1917 time period.

Other than that, although it is not a true trench map, there is a magnificent Vimy barrage map at the National Archives site available here: http://www.collectionscanada.ca/05/0518/05...01050412_e.html

This at least uses the same coordinate system as dod trench maps.

The best reproduction of an actual trench map I have seen is at the 54th Battalion site, which can be found here: http://members.tripod.com/apollon_2/images/KTS010317c.jpg

This last covers only a portion of the front and you may pine for something a few hundred yards to the south.

I hope this helps.

Hi Allan:

Here's two maps showing the RCR at Vimy. I you'd like a copy of the full map, attached to this posting, e-mail me off forum and I'll send you a copy.

Garth

Map 1/2

post-4-1083801635.jpg

Thank you all for posting the maps and links. The information looks as if it will be very helpful.

--

Allan

The online war diaries refer to many map references and codewords and it would be good to place them on a map for a visit.

Allan

Can you post some of the map references? Should be possible to zero in on these for you.

Robert

Hi Robert,

A quick look (i have to dash ouit just now) reveals code words for the period of interest (Jan 1917) from the diaries include:

Chassery - Watling crater -

Josephine (mortar?)

Posts 9 and 11 on B5

A raid in January refers to A.4.a.87.48 A.4.a.83.84 A.4.a73.51

so the barage map and maps by mordac are very relevant. I would gratefully receive other pointer and/or copies too though.

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

As a start:

La Targette was a hamlet whose ruins were about 1000 yards to the rear (that is, to the west) of Neuville St. Vaast.

Lichfield crater was, I believe in no-mans land on the northern part of the 3rd Division front in April, 1917, about A.4.c.9.9 .

thanks James. I'll widen the map search to find La Targette (hopefully).. have you a map with A.4.c.9.9 on it? I have seen similar references, but dont have a map that allows me to place them (I'm new to all this! the best i have got so far is http://www.kissack.co.uk/content/view/132/ thanks to mordac/garth)

--

Allan

• 3 weeks later...
thanks James. I'll widen the map search to find La Targette (hopefully).. have you a map with A.4.c.9.9 on it?

If you are still looking, this map detail shows Lichfield crater. It comes from the 27th Battalion War Diaries.

post-4-1086836160.jpg

thanks James. Hadnt thought it'd be south of watling as I thought that was the south boundary. I am sending for some trench maps myself now

--

Allan

• 4 weeks later...

The Naval and Military Press has a great number of maps. I assume that some are referring to that source but for those that do not know where to go try here:

Naval and Military Press

They do sell the Imperial War Museum Trench Map of CD:

Imperial War Museum Trench Map Link

Also there are some other good maps on other sites, such as:

WW1 Maps and Other Stuff

Richard of Canada