Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Frederick Fowler 06089 RAOC Italy 1917-1919

Guest littlejim

Guest littlejim

Hello! I'm looking to fill in some details about my Great Grandfather Frederick William Fowler. He enlisted in the RAOC 16/04/1915, aged 17, and his service number was 06089. He was sent to Italy in 1917 and was apparently there until he was discharged on 18/05/1919. Does anyone have information on where he was posted or just some background on the RAOC in the Italian campaign?

Just had a look at his MIS and it doesn't say much. He qualified for the BWM and Victory, but nothing else.

Also had a hunt for some service records or Pension records, however, none could be located. These could have been lost during the blitz.

Cheers Andy.

Guest littlejim
Just had a look at his MIS and it doesn't say much. He qualified for the BWM and Victory, but nothing else.

Also had a hunt for some service records or Pension records, however, none could be located. These could have been lost during the blitz.

Cheers Andy.

Thanks for your post Andy! I couldn't locate anything other than than his medal record card either so I'm hoping that someone has some info tucked away in a dark corner....

Regards

Jim

littlejim

We can narrow down the AOC units in Italy here,from the LLT at top left of this page:

http://www.1914-1918.net/italy.htm

It is unlikely that you would get a unit from his original Medal Roll (RAOC/101B9 page 899) but you could try.It is filed in a Ledger at Kew under WO329/2110.

He might also be on an Absent Voters List for his home area in 1918,which might show his unit.

If you know that you can get some of his story from the unit War Diary in the WO95 series,also at Kew. There is,in fact,a Diary WO95/5497,which shows the deployment of all RAOC units during the war,should you ever get to know which unit he was with.

Sotonmate