Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lance sergeant stripes

jollgo

I understand that Lance Sergeant is a promotion given to a corporal by his commanding officer, and not a promotion through the usual channels. Did this entitle the promoted man to then wear the 3 stripes of a full Sergeant?

From what I have seen, both as in pictures of chaps in uniform with a rank next to it, as to what i have read in the 19th century they had 3 stripes but white in colour on parade dress .Good Question will be interested as to others opinions and answers

MC

From my understanding the Rank of L/Sgt was instituted by Queen Victoria for the Household Cavalry. I am also under the understanding that the rank is suported by three chevrons.

Seph

Where to start?

Household Cavalry ranks NEVER include 'sergeant'.

In the infantry, including Guards, there was from early days provision for local appointment [not promotion] from full corporal to lance-sergeant. In our period a few such LSgts per battalion were to receive extra pay . Some means of distinguishing the two types of sergeant were sometimes needed. Either the material of the chevrons, and/or the wearing of the sash by full sergeants only, was adopted. In some regiments, notably the Guards, a LSgt was a member of the WO and Sergeants' Mess [and learned a lot by sitting with his betters].

In our period, in SD, there was no reliable means of determining which sort of sergeant was barking at your heels.

Today there only remain LSgts in the Guards, and LCpls of Horse in the Household Cavalry.

The distinction in full dress is that L/Sgts wear three white stripes and full Sgts wear gold ones. The Household Cavalry do not have 'Sergeants' as the term is said to derive from a form of 'servant' and that would never do... So, you have Squadron Corporal Major, Regimental Quartermaster Corporal...

There were ways of distinguishing in Battledress in WW2, but, as Grumpy rightly says, not so in WW1.

of course, since 1914, the only troops in full dress have been:

Household troops including latterly King's Troop RHA

regimental bands and corps of drums

and a few on other occasions such as weddings, orderlies at Court, .......

bound to be a few more ...... RWF Pioneers

Thank you gentlemen for your many and varied answers. Now to pin it down to my specific and personal quest, would a Lance Sergeant in the 5th Connaught Rangers in 1915 have worn 3 stripes in battledress. Knowing this would be a great aid to identification in photographs from that period.

Also, how many Sergeants would there be in a battalion in those days?

Many thanks people. John.

this is my from my grandads papers . doe`s it not say 'promoted ' to lance sjt. what are the letters after promoted ?. pd ? paid??.

cheers , mike.

Yes, probably 'pd' for paid ...... there was a measly addition if a Cpl was appointed PAID LSgt.

I am surprised the adjutant got it wrong ......... quite a big error because 'promotions' are only to substantive rank, and can only be rescinded by Disciplinary Action, whereas appointments [these are many: drummer, piper, LCpl, LSgt, CQMS etc] can be rescinded at the stroke of a pen.

grumpy, i have another question regarding my grandad. i have a picture of him with the batt [6th rdf] , in the picture he is wearing three stripes and a crown. there is no date on the picture. but it looks like a pre embarking stop , naas bks or maybe basingstoke ?. they went overseas on 10-7-15. according to his papers ,he was still a lance sjt then?. i don`t think its a later dated photo, i counted about ten or twelve or more troops have no cap badges , still in training?. i have the photo in a very high resolution on the pc. as you can see he was a vetern from the boer war.

cheers , mike.

post-7376-1260551026.jpg

Probably taken 1915 as per his documents and inline with what Grumpy has said.

of course, since 1914, the only troops in full dress have been:

Household troops including latterly King's Troop RHA

regimental bands and corps of drums

and a few on other occasions such as weddings, orderlies at Court, .......

bound to be a few more ...... RWF Pioneers

Not quite with you there Grumpy; "since 1914" -"RWF Pioneers" - that'll be the 4th Denbighshire TF. Could you enhance this a bit more? Ta

no no: Pioneers of the regular battalion of RWF by tradition wore and wear full [scarlet] dress including fusilier 'coon skin cap on parade occasions, with white apron and grenade ornament. They parade behind the goat and in front of the drums.