Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Paths Of Glory

mandy hall

This film is the Sunday Times Film of the Week. The review says film was premiered in 1957 but proved so controversial in France that it was not released there until 1975. Unfortunately I shall be at work tomorrow afternoon.

Mandy

Thanks for the above Norman just noticed your thread in chit chat

Mandy

Thanks for the heads-up.

It is a superb film. I have seen it before, but will watch tomorrow.

Douglas is excellent, and Kubrick's direction faultless....a must-see if possible!

Bruce

Thoroughly enjoyed it!! & the lump in the throat reappeared,but the B*stard General got his comuppance!!

A far better offering (In My Opinion) following the same theme is the seldom mentioned British made Film "For King & Country".

A far better offering (In My Opinion) following the same theme is the seldom mentioned British made Film "For King & Country".

Is that the one with a very young Tom Courtney as the Condemned Private??

I only saw it once when it was first screened on the Black & White Decca Gogglebox forty odd years ago I dont recall it ever being reshown??

Is that the one with a very young Tom Courtney as the Condemned Private??

Correct Harry,it also stars Leo McKern,Dirk Bogarde,Barry Foster,Alan Lake,and a few more faces who went on to become well known to British Cinema audiences.I have a digitally remastered copy of the Film on DVD,and as you rightly say it has never been re shown on British Television as far as i am aware...Maybe too much of a Hot Potato even now in these enlightened times ?.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_&_Country

Thanks for the Link I must get a copy {& see if the memory is as true as I think!!}

Interestingly enough just spotted this on eBay....

I can supply a copy for a LOT,LOT less than that Harry !!,if interested please PM me for details.

• 2 weeks later...

"Paths of Glory" was filmed in Germany using mainly if not exclusively German policemen as French WWI soldiers. Kubrick married the young German woman shown singing at the end a romantic 19th. century sentimental song (I used to think it was grander - something like a famous Goethe philosophical tract put to music!). The film is a classic famous cinematographer's, film editor's, and cinematographer's delight. Most elements complement one another: good editing, superb photography, excellent script, good acting. The psychological underpinnings and motives of official actions are beautifully shown in a cinematic mirror.

"King and Country" a British I think 1964 film based on a play. Much more static with less movement and combat drama than Paths thus appealing to a more sedate academically inclined audience. Personally while I found it interesting I find Paths appeals much more to the emotional senses of fair play and justice while King appeals more to the intellectual awareness of the futility of seeking justice in a powerful state bureaucracy intent on getting its way. Paths hits you over the head repeatedly with social-psychologically derived commentary while King is more subtle and evolving and one might argue thereby more intellectually convincing but NOT emotional: thus Paths overall is the better film as film appeals to the emotions primarilly.

I have seen very recent productions such as "The Lost Battalion" where the trench scenes are directly copied from Kubrick's 1957 Paths.

John

Toronto

John I totally agree with your sentiments, In my opinion Paths of Glory is without doubt the very best WW1- themed film so far and I cannot see it being bettered. The attack on the "Anthill" where the camera moves and follows the action is superbly filmed and Kirk Douglas gives his best performance.

Norman

[quote name='seadog' date='Dec 23 2009, 03:40 PM' post=where the camera moves and follows the action is superbly filmed

Norman

Just Like the Filming of the Battle Scenes in the Original Version of "All Quiet on The Western Front"..Kubrick has certainly copied this innovative style.Just compare the Filming Style..SNAP !!!

Paths of Glory was officially censored (banned) in France from 1957 until at least the early 1970's. One can hardly imagine General de Gaulle approving of such a film! Paths highlights through its deft script and psychological insights both the complexities and the simpleness of what is just in extreme conditions (war time). Colonel Dax, Kirk's character is not immune from manipulative conduct of his own and one of those time honoured questions : do ends justify the means is beautifully captured by Dax. He appeals to emotional sentiment, personal characteristics and his own world view amongst others to advocate for the doomed men as a competent or better lawyer will do. Yet the massive power of the state and class distinctions (officers and men) have practically condemned these men even before any formal proceedings. What is fundamentally right and just may not be what is politically correct or palatable or more significant for the film's message socially administratively expedient. The multiple clashes between personalities, egos, ranks, class, just and unjust amongst others show the eternal conflicts amongst us universally and this is a large part of the film's appeal. The emotionalism of film highlights these interwoven with the plot concepts.

Paths is one of my favourite films for example highlighting these essentially human conditions.

John

Hi Norman

DVD arrived yesterday just in time for today

Happy Christmas

Mandy

Great news Mandy, and a very Happy Christmas to you, get your hankies out when you watch the film. Please post your comments after viewing.

Best Wishes

Norman

King and Country to me focuses on the apparent inevitableness of a mammoth system of inertly insensitive and inhumane bureaucracy operating within its own undeclared rules. To this extent the film is appealing and interesting. However the sheer inevitableness is not as convincingly in my mind portrayed as it is in Paths because Paths deals with multiple personalities and multiple motives beautifully scriptwise interwoven into the diverse concepts embodied in the film's messages. The officer assigned to defend the deserter in King (i.e. D.B.) is no argumentative Colonel Dax. A rather placid, quietly earnest, introverted type man who in attempting to make the right decisions realizes that he is part of such a mammoth system all too late. Dax on the other hand partly as a pre-war lawyer etc... knows what he is up against from the start.

John

Toronto

King and Country toured selected Uk theatres as a stage play earlier in the year. I did the battlefield tour for the director and his crew in January. I never got the chance to get back to Blighty to watch it at the theatre. Any one else see the production?

Regards and merry Xmas

Iain

• 11 years later...

I watched Paths of Glory last night. The camera moving down the trench before the attack showed a clean path down the centre with a black line to the right. In fact the trench floor was surprisingly clean. I suppose it was for the camera trolley but it was very obvious.

On 13/11/2021 at 14:02, stripeyman said:

I watched Paths of Glory last night. The camera moving down the trench before the attack showed a clean path down the centre with a black line to the right. In fact the trench floor was surprisingly clean. I suppose it was for the camera trolley but it was very obvious.

I have seen this clip from the film as part of an exhibition of contemporary modern art.

The movie was made in 1959, but banned in France until the mid-1970s. I wonder why?