Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldier possibly from Forest Hill / Holloway

wulsten

trying to gain some info on a James Stares Born Forest Hill Residence London enlisted Holloway

Does anyone know if there are any memorials in the Forest Gate area that may have his name listed upon them or any info that may lead to further research on this chap

James Stares SPTS/3605 23rd Royal Fusiliers

Hi Wulsten

Been looking on Ancestry at his brothers for service history, he was one of 5 sons born 1883,father was a journeyman breadmaker. Can only find his MIC on Ancestry.

Regards Barry

• 1 month later...

Thanks for that Barry much appreciated, i take it the 1901 census relates to Forest Hill, so if anyone has any info on memorials in the area would appreciate any info, Geoff

Hi Geoff,

If you're looking for a memorial in the Forest Hill area, here's a link to the memorials in the immediate vicinity: http://lewishamwarmemorials.wikidot.com/me...h-war-memorials You might also want to look at other pages, such as Lewisham (the borough) and Brockley (still SE23 postcode) or "outside borough memorials". Unfortunately the master list is not yet available.

Edited to add: Killed in action, died 10 February 1916 - Theatre of War: France & Flanders. L/Corporal, Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment). Does that help?

Hi Geoff,

The only paper I know of in the area was the South London Observer. My mother's family moved from Peckham to Forest Hill in the early 1930s and my uncle, born 1916, started his career as a journalist with the SLO. The sub-heading was "Camberwell and Peckham Times, circulating in South-East, South and South-West London", but I see from the Wikipedia link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_London_Press) that it also covered Lewisham and was first published in 1865, so you may be able to get some assistance from the current company and hopefully they've kept extensive archives. I really don't know what there was in the way of competition.

Louise

Louise, thanks for the information, very much appreciated fingers crossed i can gain a bit more background information on Lance Cpl Stares, Geoff

Good luck, Geoff. They may be able to point you in the right direction. If you do come across a memorial to him in the Forest Hill district but can't get there, I expect to be in the area at the end of March when I'm doing some other family research so could get a photo if necessary.

Louise

also would you have any info relating to local newspapers from the area during this period ?

Geoff,

Here's the list of archive newspapers held at Lewisham library http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/LeisureAndCultu.../Newspapers.htm

If you need to contact them I would recommend the old "dog n' bone" as e-mail enquries tend to get forgotten about in my experience.

Good luck

Stuart

And I've just realised that there is a small memorial in Brenchley Gardens (the "New Camberwell Cemetery" which covers Southwark and Lewisham), Geoff. I believe it's WW1. Noticed it when I was there a couple of weeks ago but didn't really think about it as I know my family didn't lose anyone. It's one of the places I will be revisiting at the end of March as I have a huge amount of research to do, since both sets of grandparents and their extended families are there. Will make a note to get a pic if it is relevant.

• 5 months later...

Camberwell New Cemetery opened in 1927.

The monument you refer to may be the one dedicated to the WW2 civilian war dead in Camberwell. Entries are regularly in packs of one surname and the complete range of ages. Whole families. Chilling.

There are a few WW1 Church memorials around.

Im, not sure but i think this chap may have been a reservist and was called back up ? (ancestry) SDGW states that he was residing Holloway so that may shed a new light on any memorial he may be on ?