The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Paths of Glory

Seadog

Throw a “Sickie”, take the afternoon off or just set the video for 1345 on Wednesday 9th December Channel 4 and watch or record what is in my humble (“humble” that’s a new one!) opinion the very best film ever made on a WW1 theme, yes its “PATHS OF GLORY” starring Kirk Douglas.

Regards

Norman

I agree a good film. Would question the very best. After all its about the French army - they have/had different ways of doing things.

Old Tom

Personal opinion of course Tom, closely followed by "Regeneration" based on the Pat Barker book then the "Shooting Party" whilst not strictly a war film evokes the time just before 1914. The sure test for me is whether I can actually watch a film again and these are the only ones on WW1 themes that I can do so.

Norman

PS I have no intention to start yet another thread on "what is the best WW1 film" honest. :D

PPS More on The Shooting Party here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shooting_Party

A few war books:

One of The best to bring home the bloodymindedness & futility of War & its perpetrators,one of a handful of films that will bring a tear to the eye as it concludes.

[& as I dont start work until 16.00 Hours Ill get to see it without having to go sick!!]

Dry your eyes vefore driving to work though, Roger. Don't want you driving into a drainage ditch on the way now, do we?